Fertilized?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerPEEPS, Nov 11, 2013.

1. farmerPEEPS

farmerPEEPS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    OR.
    Hey guys,
    I have a 5month old rooster.I was keeping him with the hens but I was wonder what is the chance of the eggs being fertilized. How do I know if they're fertilized or not and if they are fertilized how do I get my hens to sit on them?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The chances are very good they are fertile, whether you see him mating or not, as long as he is about the same :
    size as the hens, and they don't have hugely fluffy butts. here is how to tell whether an egg is fertile:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures/0_20

I don't know of any way to get a hen to go broody. It is a hormone change, and is much more likely to happen in spring or summer. Certain breeds are much more likely to go broody than others, as well.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Here's a pic to tell how to identify whether rooster is getting the job done.

You can't force a hen to go broody, either she is or she isn't...you can always use an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by