Fertilizer and geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by azhenhouse, Feb 18, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Is it safe to use fertilizer on ones grass if you have geese and ducks? This will be our first year with waterfowl grazing in the yard, and I just don't know if I should put any fertilizer down this spring. I am thinking that I probably won't need to fertilize the grass with the ducks and geese on the lawn. They will be fertilizing it on their own, if you know what I mean. ;) Is fertilizer toxic to waterfowl?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yes, it is toxic.

There will be a withdrawal period. You water the fertilizer in and then keep your livestock off for a designated number of days. If the fertilizer is completely dissolved and well watered in, it usually isn't more than one or two days.

I suggest that you go to the farm supply store to buy your fertilizer and get something that is made for pastures. It will tell you on the package how long to keep your livestock off.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My goose fertilizes plenty! I actually rake most of it off and compost it.

For beds, borders and vegetable garden I use organic pelleted chicken fertilizer. It smells a little the first day or two, especially if it rains, but it really isn't bad (no worse than a whiff from the goose's favorite spot on the porch on a warm summer day), and I know my goose won't accidentally eat it.

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Thanks for the information. I will go to our nursery and ask what they have that will be safe. They are very knowlegable, and trustworthy. I am sure they would have something for pastures. If not, I might see how it goes with just using the ducks and geese for fertilizer. I actually pumped out the ducks pond water onto our apple tree and berry bushes this past summer, and we never had so much fruit. It was great!

5. I'd say you probably won't need the fertilizer at all. Our geese turned our so so former hay pasture into a meadow with the thickest, lushest grass you can imagine.

Don't fertilize! Use the geese!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by