1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindsaySinai, Jul 3, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    What's the best way to use the chicken droppings as fertilizer? Doesn't it have to be stored for a while before it can be used? Does it need to be prepared in any way??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you have no "vacant" ground to spread it, it is best to add it to other compost materials and allow nature to take it's course. My daughter uses one of those barrel compost units, as she lives in the city. Works well.

Our here in the country there is always some place that needs the nutrients. Many folks compost for up to year. It is terrific fertilizer. As raw poo, it is pretty "hot" so allowing some time, in a compost pile to de-compose is a good idea for most folks.

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  4. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Fred's Hens :

If you have no "vacant" ground to spread it, it is best to add it to other compost materials and allow nature to take it's course. My daughter uses one of those barrel compost units, as she lives in the city. Works well.

Our here in the country there is always some place that needs the nutrients. Many folks compost for up to year. It is terrific fertilizer. As raw poo, it is pretty "hot" so allowing some time, in a compost pile to de-compose is a good idea for most folks.

How much time do I need to let it sit? Is it good to fertilize everything...I have a citrus tree, lots of grass, a huge wisteria...would it be good for all that?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by