Fetal giant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Casandra, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Casandra

Casandra Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Ok so my rabbit just gave birth to a dead baby but it was deformed :( it was elongated and it looked like all its organs were in its stomach. also and this is the most significant it had no front legs. i was wondering if anyone could give me any help as to what happened? also i dont know if it matters but the mother is a white New Zealand and the father is a californian.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What feed was the mother eating? Are any of the other babies showing anything wrong with them?

3. Casandra

Nov 2, 2011
    just regular rabbit food and she has only had one. we have three females and one male and the two females already gave birth but they all died.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    To be it sounds like some genetic issue with your male rabbit. If all kits have died and you found one deformed something is up. I wouldn't breed this buck with any of your females again.

5. Casandra

Nov 2, 2011
    thats what i thought too. see we have two white new zealand females, one brown mini rex and the male is a californian ( big daddy). the mini rex ( shadow) had four baby's and she fed them the first two days but then she would push them away and refuse to feed them so one by one they would start having seizures. then they died and i managed to rub them and blow in their face and it brought them back to life. but then they would just scream and scream like they were in pain. then they died and stayed dead. the biggest white female we have ( named Madea) she gave birth to one and he was fine fat and happy. she was a good momma. then one night i checked on him and he was fine well then the next morning he was dead. he was 9 days old at the time he died. so this brings me to the last female ( snow white) her baby was huge and like really long with no front leggs. i have brought my concerns to my parents who "own" the rabbits and they just refuse to listen. i wanted to seperate the mini rex and get a mini rex male. so its safer for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by