fetherpicking and moulting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quetzylchicken, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Quetzylchicken

Quetzylchicken New Egg

Jan 30, 2011
    i have a very sweet one yr old RIR hen named chaos who recently started moulting and I noticed that she was being picked on by my flock bully Rocket. Rocket is really sweet to people but she is vicious to the other birds. she was pulling out Chaos's feathers one by one and eating them, (which i read was normal? supposed to help them lose their old feathers so new ones can grow in?) I tried separating Chaos from the rest of the flock all day so she could moult and regrow her feathers in peace but she still roosted with them at night and Rocket kept up her abusive behaviour. I tried squirting Rocket with a hose whenever she went after Chaos too but that didn't work either. Chaos fell rapidly to the bottom of the pecking order and now all of her flock-mates are chasing her. Right now I keep her outside all day in the yard alone or with one other bird for company. Letting her free-range is good because she can heal, but how can I dissuade Rocket and the others from trying to kill her every chance they get?! (Rocket stopped eating her feathers mostly but she and her cronies are still harassing Chaos by jumping her and pecking her) Is there something else I should be doing?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sounds like so serious issues going on here. I was going to say to put the one doing the plucking into a separate area to shake up the pecking order but if all are pecking that won't work. What do you feed your birds? are they getting enough protein? is the weather so bad that they have to spend most of their time closed in the coop? all these things can make for feather picking. there is a product called pick no more, I have not used it so can't tell you if it really stops the pecking or not.. I have also read the Iodine will deter pecking get the spray kind thats for live stock. I hope this wouldn't have to happen but I have seen where others have had to rehome or cull a vicious feather pecking too. Maybe someone else will have more answers... sorry I couldn't help more. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I do not agree with chickens eating each others feathers as normal. It can cause serious problems it can cause death. Chickens will go cannibilistic & kill each other . I've been fighting this behaviour for months & have not found the solution yet. Trust me its not a good thing.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what all have you tried 7L?

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You name it I've tried it. But here's the list.Up the protein, peepers, free rangeing about 5 hours a day, hot pick, rooster booster,blue kote everyday to protect the pecking area. Hung cabbage, raked leaves & put in the run along with boss mixed in to keep them busy.O almost forgot I've always added ACV to their water & recently been adding vitamins & electrlites to their water as well.Did I miss something I'll try it if I did.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is it one bird doing all the pecking or all of them pecking each other.. that would be a bummer, and you sure have done everything that has been recommended.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Theres 4 fluffy butts left out of 10. Plus the cockeral but he's been pecked some as well. It's monkey see syndrome. I'm not giving up just need more options. These girls lay eggs & I need more eggs. I just don't no how to stop the pecking issue.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what happened to the other 6 if you don't mind me asking..

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    There's 4 that still have their feathers & 6 that don't have feathers.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh Okay I was worried you were going to come back and say they had been canabilized, well hopefully you'll be able to figure this out soon, I wish I knew what to tell you that would fix it. If you have read other posters this has been a big problem this winter. If you finally figure it out I'm sure we would all like to hear what the cure is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by