Fetile or not

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, May 23, 2010.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a broody khaki campbell duck and she has been sitting on her eggs for 20 days, i caught her out for the first time today so went to look at the eggs, candled 3 out of 20 and the had a big air sac and dark shadow the rest, does this mean they are infirtile and if so what are the cances all the rest are. I have 1 drake. Should i be worried or not? will any hatch?

2. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

hi,n
    o i ould think in about8 days you should have an increased number to your family! yeah thoughs eggs are probly fertile.
    btw, i uesd to live in cambridgeshire!
    [​IMG]

3. JoshSnape

yey, finiale someone form england. so you think the eggs i candled are fertile, i supose there would be a shadow if thers a nearly fully formed duckling in there thanks, if anyone can add to this much appreciated.

4. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

yes i think your eggs are fertile and yes the shadow is the little ducky, hope they hatch.....english duckies lol

5. JoshSnape

That the way there ment to be

6. JoshSnape

Caan anyone add to this?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, sounds as if they are definately fertile. At this pont in the game if they were infertile, they would be clear. Eight days to go.

8. JoshSnape

thanks i have a run which they have acess to with a small pool, do i need to do anything to it or not and any more reasuraces on if there fertile would be much appreciated

9. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Shine the brightest light you have down onto the part of where the aircell is. See if you can see veins along with the blob. As long as you see veins and not just a dark area you are A OK.

10. JoshSnape

i dont have a bright light and i think that was a one off opotunity of candling them. So we will just have to wait and see. Again if anyone can add to this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by