Few Day Old Chicks, could use some help please :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzz, May 15, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I only have 4 chicks right now in the brooder and every hour I go out and check on them and they are just darling. They all have names too.

The blue silkie is Iago which is the parrot from Aladdin [​IMG] This one is my favorite!

The black silkie is Jafar from Aladdin and if it turns out to be a girly the name will be Jayashri which means goddess of victory. This one is quite a booger!

The larger sultan which I think is going to be a roo is Rafiki which is the baboon from Lion King [​IMG] He is the tallest walker and struts around. Its so cute when he falls over his own feet [​IMG]

The smaller sultan, this one doesnt look like its gonna make it so her name is Ashakiran which means ray of hope [​IMG] Its a cutie for sure!!

I am handling them alot and I hope they are going to be the sweetest chickens ever. Asha already hops into my lap and they all run over to me when they get scared.

Now for the question [​IMG] I could talk forever about them and its barely been 24 hours since I have had them!

I want to put a ping pong ball in there for them to toss around, will that be okay? I just want to be sure because these chicks mean so much to me and I adore them all!

Also they are only 3 or 4 days old, do you think I could give them each banana or is that not even safe? I read the list of safe foods but this was the first treat in my head also quaker oats, can I give them a little bit of that?

Just want these to be spoiled rotten. Their day run is 60 X 20 and their coop is 20X7

They are already spoiled and havent even moved in yet [​IMG]

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I would stick to chick starter for now....you can actually trick them into thinking it's a treat if you give it to them from your hand or fingertips.....Congrats, enjoy your chicks!

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, they are a bit young for special treats like you mention. I would wait till they are a week old. Although it would be good for them now if you put a small plate or something with some dirt from outside. Only if you do not use chemicals on your yard. I know as soon as the eggs hatch, mama hen takes her babies out and scratches up the dirt. This will act as grit in their system. Yes, starter already has grit, but if you get them started on it now then once they are a week old you can begin giving treats. It's always fun to give them cut up tomato and grapes. I always had trouble with them being scared to death of anything new, like a plate, and had to leave it in there for a day or so for them to get used to it. Have fun!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:I don't think I would use a ping-pong ball... I wouldn't them to learn to play with round, rolly things.

Quote:Coop?!? Sounds more like the Taj Mahal. You could easily fit 35 birds in there. Unless you are going to greatly expand your flock, you might look at making an interior wall to close off a section about 5x7. A cozy, little coop would be much warmer in the winter.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I don't think I would use a ping-pong ball... I wouldn't them to learn to play with round, rolly things.

Quote:Coop?!? Sounds more like the Taj Mahal. You could easily fit 35 birds in there. Unless you are going to greatly expand your flock, you might look at making an interior wall to close off a section about 5x7. A cozy, little coop would be much warmer in the winter.

Good Idea [​IMG]

No I only want about 16 chickens [​IMG] They are going to be quite the spoiled chickees [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by