few hens stomping feet on roost at night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annek, May 19, 2010.

1. annek

annek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    A few days ago I noticed one of my hens (leghorn just over 1 yr. old) stomping her feet on the roost at bedtime. Tonight I noticed 3 of them doing it. They are not being aggressive toward others so I don't think it is trying to be assertive. Could this be leg mites? I don't notice any scale problems yet. It is warm here already at night so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, thought they might be hot, so put on their fan for a breeze.

I have never noticed this before, they seem to be pounding feet on the perch like they are uncomfortable. They don't do this outside during the day. They free range all day so they run around all over our acreage in the woods. All are eating fine and laying almost every day. Any ideas?

2. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Check them at night for mites. Some fowl mites hide in cracks during the daytime and come out at night to feed on the birds. Take a flashlight and part their feathers and look around the vent area.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by