Few more questions, Quick Update

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pauleberly, Jun 16, 2016.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    My current flock is 2 silkies, 3 marans, and 5 red sex-links. We let them free range for around 4 hours a day, and the rest they are in their coop (16x16) I do believe that one of my sex-links is the head hen.

[​IMG]

She is the one on the left. Notice how much white she has around her neck, and tail feathers. From the same batch of birds, why does this one look so different (below) Is it possible the red sex-links were just random ones or is it just purely genetics?

[​IMG]

Now when we round up the chickens, my boy does help (he is 3) We noticed some of the hens had their wings partially out. They seem to be perfectly fine and its not bothering them. We just wanted to make sure everything was fine with the hens.

[​IMG]

The red sex links are 3 months old today. When do they usually start to produce eggs. The marans and silkies are ~ 10 days younger.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Their hot,that is why their wings are out.Sexlinks are suppose to look like that.

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok I'm glad to know nothing is wrong with their wings.

I was more curious as why I have sexlinks that look different from each other, when I purchased all of them from the same hatchery.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    All chickens have "Unique"markings,none will look exactly the same,although same breeds should ave same similarities.For instants,silkies have rose combs,and are fluffy,all silkies should be like that,but should look somewhat different.Like there are black,brown,and white silkies.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    As sexlinks are a cross between different 'breeds'....there are many variations...and because hatcheries have many breeder birds, the birds you get may not be from the same parentage.

6. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN

That's what I was wondering. One of them was just so different I didn't think it could be a sibling to the others! looking into it further, starting age of egg laying is closer to 6 months. They still have awhile to go :(

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Not exactly.Most pullets start laying before most of their breed is set to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by