1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Few more questions....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Berlena, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Ok so I have the 3 Coturnix Jumbo Brown hens...they are laying like champs and all.... so how long do they remain productive? I got them 2 months ago and they were supposedly only like 2 months old. What do you do with them once they get "old"? Can you eat them?

I am going to hatch my first batch of quail soon.... I really would love to try to process them myself. I've never done it before but I think I can! I've been trying to read the threads and watched a few videos...but nothing shows exactly how you bop them in the head. Can someone explain how to do this? Thanks!!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will lay for all of their lives, but production decreases every year. You can process them when they get older and they taste great. At the end of their second summer they are processed. I don't bop them on the head, I either ring their necks or use bolt cutters.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Hold The Bird In Hand With Its Head/ Neck Sticking Out And (sorry This Sounds A Lil Brutal..) Just Bop Their Head Against Something Firm Really Hard And Fast--- Careful Not To Whack Your Own Knuckles Doing So..

4. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Quote:Thanks! Pretty much like it sounds. I'm excited to try but I need a bunch of new quail first! [​IMG]

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I use very sharp shears, give em a hug and snip.

6. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Quote:That sounds super simple too. Is there any mess from blood?

7. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:That sounds super simple too. Is there any mess from blood?

a little.. I just snip and hang by feet on a rack thing I made.

Just make sure your shears are very sharp! You will be a mess if it only maimed and not snipped. I know I would be [​IMG]

8. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    quail are the easiest bird to process, just make sure you hit the head hard enough and have scissors right next to you, my first time i lost them in the grass and tried to use my wikid dull pocket knife before the poor thing woke up, not a fun experience, but after that it was really easy. I usually knock them out on a stump and then hold there heads against the stump to get leverage on the scissors, after that i just hold them, they bleed out in like 15 seconds, aim away from yourself and its 100% bloodfree.

9. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Quote:Like a pair of cigar cutters? Or more like chicken shears from the kitchen.

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Bolt cutters or lawn clippers work good for this, you can even use a butcher knife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by