Few Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bridgertrot, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Bridgertrot

Bridgertrot In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Hello everyone! The boyfriend and I picked up two Rouen ducklings that will be a week old on Wednesday. I hope I'm being a good mom as they seem to be pretty content so far.

My first question has to do with sneezing. We did some research and it appears that it just might be some dust or something they have in their nose. They are acting normally other than the sneezing. We found a great tip about cutting a hole in the top of tupperware so they can stick their heads in. One of them absolutely loves it and dunks it's head right in and searching the bottom for things. The other will drink from it but doesn't seem to get the idea. Is there any away to help the other one?

Also as far as getting the ducks used to being held. Am I doing this correctly? We are doing a few very short sessions so far daily holding them. We don't put them back until they quit struggling and relax. One is catching on quickly and is very relaxed when held while the other is still a little fearful but seems to be catching on (same one that won't dunk its head lol) Just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track.

Thanks!

2. cskotek

cskotek Songster

Ive noticed the same thing with my calls, The one who loves to dunk his head is well a male and the other one was a female. She has since seen the light but still freaks out when i try to hold her, the male follows her around so he gets crazy too. But im still working on it. So maybe you have a male and a female?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They have to have access to water deep enough to clear their nares out.. of coarse when they are little you have to watch for drowning but sounds like you have a decent container now, so that should resolve itself, what type of bedding are you using?

As for holding, i'll let others help you there.. i don't handle my ducks.. well not unless i have too.. being Muscovy i like myself without scratches and blood lol you can try feeding them out of your hand, to get them used to your presence.

4. Bridgertrot

Jun 5, 2012
    Yeah we do have a container deep enough for them to clear out their nasals. It only has a hole in the top big enough for them to stick their head in so don't really have to worry about drowning. Just to be safe still, I only put it in during the day with supervision since you never know. I'm using large wood shavings, not sawdust, the shavings. I read a few things after I bought it that say those aren't good but some say they are fine. I know some try to eat them. They don't seem to eat any...just try them and spit them back out so I hope that's alright. I have them in a large wire dog crate with a light, water to drink, water to dip heads in (supervised), food, and occasionally give them a tiny bowl with about an inch of water to swim in which they love. It's been pretty hot so they dry off quick but otherwise they let us dry them with a towel. I need to make some changes to the crate since they can fit through the slats in it but I put up some cardboard to prevent them from doing so that they can still see over. They are starting to chew that up which I don't want them to do so I will be fixing that this evening when the boyfriend gets back off work since he's the one that's more handy! lol

And judging by the research that I did, one duck being loud and anxious, and the other being quiet and friendly I think we did get lucky and get a pair! It'd be nice to sex them...but at this stage I don't want to hurt them by doing that since I've never done it, we are just going to wait and see.

Thanks for your responses!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You make sure you removed the food when you take away the water, right? I think i am understanding that you do, just want to be sure.. ducks MUST have water if they have food. [​IMG] I brooded my ducks on shavings.. actually still do but the ducks themselves are now doing the brooding.

6. Bridgertrot

Jun 5, 2012
    Yep the water and food stay in together. It's only the "head dipper" that I take out. It's funny as the BF got these guys for me as a surprise since I've been wanting something to take care of (he's caring for them too) and also so they can be relaxing but I've been worrying my head off making sure I do everything correctly! haha. I'm going to be worrying the day they finally get switched over into the coop too. They seem pretty content though. Full of personality already and bring a smile to my face.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Totally normal to worry, the are defenseless and tug at your maternal side lol I have been dipping my toe in expanding my flock by breeding.. ugh there is a real hair puller [​IMG]

8. Bridgertrot

Jun 5, 2012
    Now is it normal for them be sneezing like 8 times in a row? The one only seems to do it when drinking like it accidentally gets a little water up the nose and sneezes or is maybe attempting it but isn't sure. Like I said each of them seem fine otherwise. I just feel bad about it.

9. Bridgertrot

Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

They are adorable.. If I was you i'd pick up some poultry vitamins and add some to their water it just gives them and extra boost of their immune system. and when they are growing as fast as ducklings do they need all the help they can get. As long as they are eating good and getting water to wash their faces with they are probably just getting dust into their nares. I think if possible you should keep food and water with them 24/7 it's important that ducklings get to eat as often as they want. That bowl with the hole on top would be fine for them to drink out of I use something just like that for my ducklings but I put those colored glass [small round] things in the bottom so if they were to climb in they wouldn't be under water. All the best as you both enjoy watching your ducklings grow and become part of your family. Keep posting pics so we can see how they grow. AND [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: