Few pictures of my coop: WARNING "Heavy pictures"

Smitty's Farm

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 24, 2007
St Clair County, Il
The beginning of construction this past spring. We built it right on our driveway, so we could have a flat surface, access to electricity, & plus we had no idea where we wanted to place it in the yard. Well, my husband built it...I just help hold boards.
big_smile.png
It's 8x10 and houses our flock of 16. I sure wish we would have found BYC before construction. There are few things we would have done different.....like BUILD BIGGER for more chickens. LOL!

CIMG0628.jpg

Not finished yet, but showing a few of the girls their new home.

CIMG0683.jpg

CIMG0685.jpg

The nest boxes are mounted about 2 feet off the ground. They have a solid shelf for the bottom, but the dividers and the top shelf can come out if needed for a deep clean. The front lip of the boxes can also be detached. The top of the nest boxes double as a dropping shelf for their roost. We attached a roost in front of the boxes for easier access. A few problems is that the lip should be bigger (higher) in front of the boxes and the roost in front of the boxes should be a little further away from them. I haven't had any eggs roll out, but do I have one SLW pullet named Psycho that will hop in all the nest boxes to scratch the straw out on the ground, so she'll have some to make her nest on the floor in the corner of the coop.
She's the only one that won't use the nest boxes.

CIMG0766.jpg

The flock finally moved in this past Aug. We had to use our tractor to move it to the yard. We still have things to finish or adjust. Here's more pictures before it got all poopy and broken in. You should see the inside right now...it looks like they were having a poop slinging contest and I just did a total clean out a few weeks ago.
lau.gif

CIMG0770.jpg

We painted the inside with left over paint from another project. The wood floor was covered with cheap vinyl/linoleum. Then we covered the dropping shelf and floor w/ wood shavings.

CIMG0769.jpg

CIMG0774.jpg

CIMG0776.jpg

Everyone lining up to try out the new pop door. Poor Henry the turkey wanted to use it. He always thought he was a chicken.

CIMG0808.jpg

We had to duck tape it up quickly, b/c all the chickens were drawn to the insulation like a magnet. (Yum Yum!) Still need to frame it out. Looks like the ghetto pop door.

CIMG0832.jpg

I still need to add better vents. There is some in the front above the coop door. I really wish we would have put in a screen door (maybe this spring). The other problem is that the door to the coop opens inward and is always pushing the shavings back. I hope you enjoyed the pictues.

Very nice ! Looks like Beverly Hills compared to Mine ! I love the paint job , looks nice and cheery ! How does the linoleum hold up ? Our coop is an old chicken coop/storage shed converted hastily back into a chicken coop . We're going to redo it and double the size for our next batch hopefully in 2009 .
big_smile.png

You've done a wonderful job with your coop. Love the colors and the nest boxes all lined up. The photo looks like an ad for country living.
smile.png

Thanks for posting the pics. So much fun to look at other's coops!

Niiiiiice coop!!

We used a similar door, although the top panel on ours was solid rather than paned. We cut the panel out with a jigsaw and stapled hardware cloth over the opening, then used mirror-clips to attach a framed glass panel off an old storm door, so it's removeable. That way it's good in all seasons. Is there any way you could do that to yours? Does the upper glass-panel area look like its one piece that is attached in some way you could take it off (and then use the morror clips to re-attach)?

Also, depending on the style and material of the door, you can reverse the swing. Either just turn it around (inside out, although that might look odd) or if its wood you can simply move the hinges to the other side, ditto the latch hardware, and fill the hole with softwood & putty, prime and paint. Our run door opens in and it's a little bit of a pain, but I can't imagine it with shavings.... doesn't it get stuck a lot?

Anyway, beautiful job. Looks like some vert happy girls!

Stacey

If for some reason you cannot reverse the door swing, on the floor inside the coop, frame out with 2x4s a little 3 sided 'box' that is as wide as the door and as deep as the door swings. This way, no shavings will be in the area needed to open the door, it will be just linoleum. The 2x4s will act as a retaining wall for the shavings. It will be like a little foyer area, lol. I had to do this on one of my coops to, although much small in size, I make a mistake but this fix helped tremendously. I hope I explained it ok.

Your coop is extremely nice. I would LOVE to have something like that!! Your DH is a keeper!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom