Few Questions about breeding meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I am considering taking Dark Cornish Roo's to Plymouth Barred Rock's and NHR Hens to Cornish Rock Cross Roo's, and vice versa I know I won't ever get the X nor am I trying I just want good solid meat birds That can reach 5-7 lbs in 10-12 weeks free ranging anyone have any feed back as to This result? This will be my first time breeding. Here is a list of my current flock if you have any idea's on Good duel purpose cross's with these breeds,
    NHR Hens and Roo's, RiR Hens and Roo's,PBR Hens and Roo's, BA Hens and Roo's, Sex Link Hens and Roo's, Americuna Hens and Roo's Cornish Cross Hens and Roo's, Jersey Giant Hens and Roo's, and DC Hens and Roo's any advice would be appreciated.

2. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Anyone???? Does everyone just buy there meat birds surely not?

3. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    There are folks on here that breed their own, I don't think anyone breeds the exact roo-hen you asked about in your post.

I find it easier to order, brood, raise, process.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I doubt your DC over your BPR will get to the weight in the time frame you want. Your CX roos over your BR, NHR, and JJ hens would be your best bets given your stated goals and current breeds available.
    There are a lot of us on here doing many different but similar things, but most people (at least I ) get tired of reposting. Go through and read all the back threads for about ten pages on this topic you will be amazed at the number of questions you find answers to!
    Good luck!

5. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
  6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol I know it's a lot of reading, but it's amazing the amount of info that's available on this site. and during the summer most of the really experienced people are out working all day with their birds and to busy to answer questions everyday, so it's worth it to go back and do the research as you found. Good luck with your project and keep us all informed along the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by