Few questions for those who show their ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Jun 6, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    How do you prepare your ducks for a show? Is there more to showing waterfowl than making them pretty and putting them in a cage? Will you sure your tips and tricks for showing?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Breeding and standards are very important as well, knowing eactly what you have so you can enter them into the right class. Its also good to make sure they have had some pen training so that the whole experirnce is not stressful for them. Being comfortable in the pen on the day makes for happier birds. As far as cleaning and preparation goes- ducks will wash themselves- I just give their feet a scrub and clean up their bill so they dont have any mud or dirt left there.

3. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Thanks for replying [​IMG] How do you go about pen training?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I dont know what you may have availble to you to use- but because I show Indian Runners it is important they stand tall when being judged. I have found a manufacturer of cage fronts- just like the those used in the pavillions where the shows are held and have made 2 cages for use at home. This way I can put them into the cage to get them used to the confined space. Handling them to put them in and get them out as well is important as many ducks will need to get used to going through the small door opening. Depending on what breed of duck you have- you need to encourage them to stand ( most specifically Runners ) - with some ducks it doesnt matter so much -the judge will remove them from the cage to look at the body wings and feathering anyway.
    You will notice that the judge will use a small silver pointer stick to prod at the ducks- find an old car radio aerial - it works just as well so the ducks arent scared for the first time seeing one when being judged.
    Just geting them used to being in the cage is most important to make sure they are comfortable and not stressed with it and being handled on the day. For something like a call duck- just putting them into a small carrier with a wire front will be the equivalent of the pen trining I give my Runners.

Because I hand raise and regularly handle my ducks pen training usually begins two weeks before the show season starts. First just putting them in the cage for an hour a day- then slowly getting them to stand once they are comfortable being in the cage. After the first week they are left in the cages for about 4-5 hours at a time until I know they are comfortable and standing well. Feeding of treats in the pen is a good way of getting them to feel more secure and less afraid in the pens for the first few times.

Hope some of this helps....

5. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    This is wonderful advice! Thank you! I plan on showing welsh harlequins and runners. Do you have pics of the cages so I could get an idea of what I need?

6. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Thank you! I will look into getting a couple of practice cages. I really appreciate all of the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by