1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Few questions, need some answers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Everlong, May 23, 2016.

1. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    1. How do you guys feed your quail the eggshells? i understand they have to be crushed, but how much? When crushed, do i mix them with something?

2. So far i only found 20% feed, bought 50lb bag. Can't find anything higher, so dry mealworms will have to do for a while as a boost. Last time got them crickets, my 7 year old daughter was crying and praying they would run away while saying "poor crickets".
    besides crumbles, they are getting lettuce, some other grains, brocolli, corn etc... :) Is lower protein food ok, with substitutes/additions?

3. The Roo, he tries and tries and fails;) I have 1roo and 4 hens. As far as i know my quails are 6-7 weeks old? Should i eat him in order to get eggs;)? I get one a day.

4. My Cage/pen has a roof, they are outside all the time, but not in the direct sunlight. Should i modify it, so they get more light?

5. Led nightlight in the box? Was thinking of putting one of those solar powered led lights on top of the "night" box so they have some light at night time. Im trying to convince them to sleep inside ;)

Here is a link to my setup. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1106713/need-some-advice-on-freshly-built-coop

Thanks.

2. jimbo1989

jimbo1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    Look for turkey feed crumbles or game feed crumbles and eggshells should be boiled dried then crush to a grit ..I still like to add boiled eggs and other high protein foods like meal worms for them .ans it's a part in their cage when the worms are in

3. jimbo1989

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    Males will fail until their figure it out [​IMG].dont remove the male because it might oddly to your surprise stress the layers and normally coturnix quail like all the ones I've had don't lay till week 8 that 6 wk lay quote has been false in my experience

4. jimbo1989

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    14houra of light work fine and unused cams lights stabled on the coop will do the trick think economically with quail

5. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    yeahh, i think my quails are defective. only one of them lays an egg, or at least thats what i think, the biggest one. Bought the Turkey/Game bird feed last saturday/weekend 28% protein, also i have been mixing eggshells with it. Still only one egg a day. Im thinking the other 3 are two-three months old. I noticed the male is getting better at grabbing feathers at back of female's head and keeping balance.

Quick question, what do you guys do with eggs that you want to incubate? like in the meantime, where do you keep them untill there is enough to put into the incubator? Also, and excuse me for this question, does male have to do the "thing" with a female in order to get a fertile egg?

6. mporche

mporche Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2016
    Livonia La

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by