Few Questions on 6 Week Olds. With Pics.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my 6 week old lavender dutch, I unfortunately have 2 roos and 1 hen. Today they went out on the lawn for the first time as its been really chilly and randomly today we had baking sunshine. They absolutely adored it but just before I brought them in, I noticed them seriously squaring up to each other (the roos) and trying to spur each other (they don't have spurs yet). They looked really intent on attacking each other rather than the half hearted sparring they do indoors. Then when I took them out to put them back in the brooder, the underdog roo tried to attack me too. [​IMG]
    Do you reckon this is because of them going outside?

Also, unrelated totally, can they eat pumpkin? Littlun and his dad carved a pumpkin lantern tonight. [​IMG]

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    being in a new territory (outside) probably made them feel the need to fight for the right to own it. they should settle down eventually but if they don't get rid of/seperate one of the cockerels.

yes, they can eat pumpkin guts but they might not be able to manage the big seeds. in fact, a treat might help them settle if you feed them outside [​IMG]

3. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm trying to rehome one of the roos but not much luck yet. Thanks on the pumpkin. [​IMG]

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Thats just young roo play!!! they all do it. yes pumpkins are fine for them. they are great lookin birds good job! at least you have a pair to breed from [​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    When I had 4 white leghorn roos they used to do the same thing - they would do what looked like chest bumping and stare down contests. A few times their combs got banged up by each other. And the "head" roo in the gang would grab the other's combs and yank them hard to remind them who was in charge. They started acting like that around 6 weeks old when they started crowing. I finally chose one and gave the other 3 to a friend to use on his property to keep bugs at bay. I miss those leghorn roos [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Craigs list local 4H

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    This is my two youngsters in action, I moved them to the outdoor brooder today and they love it so much there were non stop squabbles for half an hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is their new outside brooder [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    cool idea for,an outdoor brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by