Few questions on hatching ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    okay, so i finally got my bator built!!! i'm sooo excited! but its a still air, we couldn't find a fan that would fit. what should the temperature be if its still air? what's the best humidity to have it at? I've seen a lot of different sites saying a lot of different things. Also, how should i put the eggs in there? on their side? thanks!

2. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i CAN NOT get the temp to stablize right now. i have a 60 watt light bulb in there, we started at 25 and have just been going up and up. the temp has not gone higher than 80. how could i get it higher??

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I've been having issues with my homemade bator too. I just made some adjustments, and fired it back up again. I plan on letting mine run for 3 days before I fiddle with anything.

Are you using a thermostat in your bator? If so, then you should have no problem adjusting the temp.

4. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i have a light with a dimmer switch and a thermometer that tells temp and humidity. i just put some foil on two of the sides hoping it will help the heat a little. i might have to put another light in there but my parents don't enjoy that idea...

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hmm..you may have to put in a thermostat. I use a water heater thermostat. I only need a 40 watt bulb to get up to 99 degrees.

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'll probably sound really really dumb, but what is a thermostat and how does it work?

7. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    would a heat lamp help push the temp up?

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    A thermostat is a device that controls the temperature. You set it on the temperature needed, and it runs the light bulb until the bator gets to that temp. If the temp begins to fall, it kicks it back on and keeps the temp stable. It works the same way as central heating and air in your home. You can get the kind you need at Lowes for 10 bucks.

9. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:ohh. okay. thats what i was thinking but i didn't think you could hook it up to a light or anything. alright, thanks!

10. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    If I remember correctly, its been awhile since I've read the thread, you use a hot water heater thermostat and wire in the light and a fan if you had one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by