Few questions..... please help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigdogmom130, Apr 27, 2009.

1. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    My chicks are 5 days old and I have a few questions...

1). Would it be ok to take the brooder outside for awhile during the day? The temp here today is 82 degrees.

2). What is the best thing or things to put in the bottom of the brooder for bedding?

3). I am feeding them starter feed. When can I incorporate treats, what kind and do I need grit when I do?

4.) How long until I put them in the coop and how much can they be handled?

Thank you all so much for any advice in advance. I appreciate it so much!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    1) I took mine out for a bit, maybe 5 min., at that temp when they were a week old. You'll know if their cold.

2) I use pine shavings

3) I waited until mine were 3 wks before I gave them treats but you could offer them some plain yogurt if you want or some cheese. You will have to give grit if you give treats.

4) I handled mine a bit each day and put mine it the coop once they didn't need heat anymore..around 6 wks.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    1). Would it be ok to take the brooder outside for awhile during the day? The temp here today is 82 degrees.

Yes. So long as you are out there to watch that they aren't in direct sun, or at least that there is shading provided in the brooder in case they get too hot. Also, watch that no predators can get to them - think snakes.
    2). What is the best thing or things to put in the bottom of the brooder for bedding?

I put in pine shavings. Some folks put in wood pellets. Either works. But I think shavings is probably the most popular.

3). I am feeding them starter feed. When can I incorporate treats, what kind and do I need grit when I do?

I usually wait until at least two or three weeks of age before introducing treats. Because everything is new and chicks can get easily stressed. It is a personal decision, and I am sure everyone has their own thoughts and preferences on the matter. I also offer a bit of chick grit when introducing new food items. You can start with several options, yogurt, banana, etc. My chicks went crazy over a little mash I made for them out of their food but so far have not really touched other treats offered. So don't be too disappointed if they run away rather than to the new offering. They liked the mash because it was their food, just in a different form(so I didn't offer additional grit).

4.) How long until I put them in the coop and how much can they be handled?

I suggest waiting until they are fully feathered(roughly around 6 weeks or so). Or, you can put them in when they are mostly feathered, but bring them in at night if your temps get really cold at night. It also kind of depends on how your coop is set up and the outside temps during the day and night.

I handle my chicks daily. I hold them, watch t.v. with them, nap with them. So, it is up to you really. But I like trying to form a bond with each chick and I find that when I hold them and talk with them they seem to be a bit more calm and willing to be held and petted. All my chickens see me as 'mama' and trust me more than they trust other family members. I am sure it is because of the familiarity and bond created by holding them.

Congrats on your new little ones, and [​IMG] !!!! [​IMG]

4. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Great advice from the previous members postings. I would add that it was probably the amount of handling that allowed me to hold my Oz, BA, while we performed crop surgery on her. Out of 18 I chose about 4-6 that were "special" receiving a little more attention than the others. Now they are the ones that come running when they see me.

Yeah that would be toward me not fleeing in fear [​IMG]

5. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you all so much for your answers. I really appreciate your time! I'll get the hang of this - I know I will!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I want to add that you can put them in the coop at any age, provided the coop is draft free and predator proof and can be kept at the temp. needed per their age. Also, you wouldn't want to put youngin's in the coop if you already have older chickens in there.
    Not everyone broods their chicks in the house; I don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by