Few questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mowin, Jun 19, 2018.

1. mowin

mowin Chirping

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    First, is there a list of the abbreviations used on this site? Trying to learn the lingo.

2nd.... I know chickens molt, but what triggers it? Amount of daylight and temp? Will they all molt at the same time, Or if you stagger the age of your flock, will they molt at different times?

3rd... Live in upstate NY. What is a hardy, easier for a beginner breed? What breeds lay larger eggs?

Thanks in advance.

TheAmundsons likes this.

2. MotherOfChickens

MotherOfChickens Songster

Jun 29, 2017
    Tennessee
    Chickens have soft molts throughout their "chickhood". Once they reach 12 to 18 months old they usually have a hard molt annually. Out of 3 Australorps, I had one molt in between a soft and hard molt at 9 months old but the other two did not molt at all. From my understanding, usually they molt in the fall, but sometimes you may have some that molt in the spring. I think it is generally brought on by the shorter days in the fall, when egg production normally drops off anyway. With that said, there are breeds that shorter days do not dictate their egg laying... Like my Australorps. The still laid pretty well in the fall and winter.

Australorps lay large eggs. I also have a Welsummer and some Speckled Sussex. They are docile breeds. I also hear a lot of people say that Buff Orpingtons are great first time breeds, although I have never had that breed. As for their hardiness, I am not sure, but I would think they are a cold hardy bird. I do know Black Australorps are a good cold and heat hardy bird.

mowin, ChickNanny13 and Bonniebooboo like this.
  3. Bonniebooboo

Bonniebooboo Songster

May 27, 2017
    Kansas
    I feel that smaller combed larger bodied birds are more cold hardy. less chance of frostbite and less apt to freeze in really low temps. pea combs. rose comb types.

I think it is more daylight that starts them in the molt vs weather. I have had some start in late August in really hot weather and some not start until October, warm but not hot, I was concerned they wouldn't have good feathers in for the winter. It can take 6 weeks to go through their full molt,, some less, some longer.
    Since they don't usually do their first hard molt until around 18 Mo of age, I don't know that they will be staggered too much due to their actual hatch date the previous year. I haven't studied that in depth. I have a few I hatched in march and August last year, I have to keep an eye out and see if they are close or further away from each other when they molt this year.

4. mowin

mowin Chirping

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Bonniebooboo likes this.
  5. mowin

mowin Chirping

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it. Trying to gather as much information as possible before I take the plunge.

Perris likes this.
  6. TheAmundsons

TheAmundsons Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Vermillion, SD
    Kind of piggy backing off mowin's question of needing an explanation of abbreviations, is there an article with just terms? There are a few things I've come across that I'm not sure what they mean, or there are two terms I think mean the same thing, but don't.

7. mowin

mowin Chirping

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Post #2 has a link with all the abbreviations.

Bonniebooboo likes this.
  8. TheAmundsons

TheAmundsons Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Vermillion, SD
    Yeah, I saw that. But is there one with a list of terms instead of abbreviations?

9. mowin

mowin Chirping

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Not sure about that one. Very new here and just learning the ropes.

TheAmundsons likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by