few questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kada6305, Mar 20, 2013.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    new to ducks, I have 5 2 week old ducklings, 3 mallards and 2 Khaki. I have a few questions.

1. Do I need grit? and if so what is grit? where can I get it? I am feeding them game bird starter.
    2. When do I stop the game bird starter and switch to game bird grower?
    3. when is it okay to move them outside?
    4.when can I start feeding live feed? I would like to try for some baby mini minnows and mealworms for the khaki.
    5. heat...I get so confused when it comes to heat in the brooder. So they are 2 weeks so does it need to be 80 or 85 F?

thanks for all your help!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Grit is small rocks ground up fine that the duckling/ducks need to help them chew their food since they don't have teeth to do it with. you can buy it at the feed store even grocery stores carry small boxes of it for parakeets and other small caged birds, I buy it at the feed store it's inexpensive and lasts a long time. Just put out a Small bowl separate from their feed and they will eat it as needed. I am not familiar with game Bird feed so someone else will have to help you on that one but on reg chick stater I think you feed starter to age 4 weeks but I feed an all flock so not really sure on that either.sorry. They need to be completely feathered before going outside unless you can provide heat for them. which is usually around 4-5 weeks. at age 2 weeks they can have temps in the brooder at between 80-85 just make sure they can get out from under the heat, I saw your pics and they like to sleep close together so 80 would probably be fine since they are getting body heat from each other. keep them out of drafts. I have never kept my ducklings at 95 even to start off. I start at 90*and drop it 5* each week there after. But you can judge by watching how comfortable they are. and adjust. I started my ducklings out on dried meal worms and let mama teach them to hunt live food, so not sure when the appropriate age would be to feed the minnows and such.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania

okay I know what grit is now! we used to give it to our bird when I was younger. I have the temp at 84, should I drop to 80 now and then 75 next week? temp stays at around 70-73 in the house so wont need the heat balb for much longer. And yeah I was thinking fully feathers considering its been pretty cold out and there is snow on the ground! what about taking them outside to venture around before moving them outside? even though there is snow on the ground its in the 40's and 50's or too cold for a 2 week old?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't take them out. too easy for them to chill, wait till you have a warmer day into the 60's with no snow and no wind, [am I asking too much] lol as far as temps in your brooder how are they acting? do they lay up under heat or lay out from under cuddled together? try it at around 84 and see if they stay under or out mostly. most important is giving them space to get out from under it so they don't over heat. what ever you decide is the best temp then drop it 5* next week at week 3. I only had one duckling inside since his mama rejected him and he was fine at 2 weeks with 80* but it was June too. you'll be able to judge by how they are acting to the heat lamp.

5. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I have it at 84, it drops to 80 at night and there dont huddle they are just about everywhere and active so I think it's just perfect for them, even at night they sleep together but are more in the middle than closer to the light or shaded area. and okay I hope we get some warm weather soon so they can venture out! haha

6. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I was under the impression that if they're on starter feed they don't need grit. Anyway I've raised several ducks on starter and no grit and never had any problem.

7. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    hmm...well it couldnt hurt either I guess lol. I'm at a lost when it comes to that stuff.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You are correct. As long as the only thing they get is commercial feed. If they get treats, greens or go outside on grass they need grit. If they are outside alot they are likely to find their own grit.

9. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    i do feed them treats so I'll go get them so grit tonight ! thanks :))

10. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    The temp now is 79 and they seem fine so Ithink I'm going to keep it at 80 for now unless they start huddling under the light then back up to 85.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by