Few questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Learningstill, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    First question,

Does anyone have stagnate ponds, such as a wildlife pond for their ducks?

Second question,

Our new couple month old drake was found in our stagnate pond drenched and shivering. He could not bare his weight on his legs, nor hold his head up. We immediately brought him into the house and rinsed him off with warm water and sat with him in a towel for long enough to get the majority of excess water off and then we put him in a storage tub with bedding, food, water, and a heat lamp. Within a few hours he appeared to be himself again. He is back outside and behaving just fine.
    So, my question what do you think caused this? The stagnate water, or did he somehow get stuck, or was the water too dirty and soiled his feathers, or a bacteria? (Other ducks were in the same pond earlier in the day and they seemed okay)
    Any ideas?

Thank you

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Stagnate water is not healthy and can breed botulism along with other nasties. I'd advise you to keep your flock away from all stagnate waters. Only provide fresh and clean water, for your flocks health and happiness. Your duck that you wrote about may be fighting illness now.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    The ponds around here have springs to them so its not stagnant but stagnant water is a breeding ground for all kinds sicknesses/diseases. Mine have kiddie pools which we give fresh water daily in fact as it gets dirty they stop swimming in them till I refill with fresh but they don't mind playing in mud when it rains go figure. Ponds can be beautiful with ducks on it but part reason we haven't put one in is up keep, bacteria, and snap turtles can become big issue. Every ducks system is different as ours what might make one ill may not affect others so he could have gotten ill from pond. At two months old your guys are still young and prob not 100% feathered and their immune system not as strong as adults. Ducks at any age can tire in water and drown even in small pools this is what I expect happened to your guy. Since they have no mama to tell them when to get out of water you have to be mama. You should be able to take a water sample to your city/county health dept. and let them test it than you'll no whats needed also double check for snappers. Meantime get them a little pool I promise they'll have just as much fun. Glad to hear your guy is fine sounds like you did a great rescue.

4. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Why do ducks play in swamps or wildlife ponds if they are unsafe? Our ducks have access to clean fresh water in multiple buckets and wading trays, but they still choose to swim and play in the pond. I do not think they drink from there, but who knows. Where does botulism come from? I thought it can be in the dirt too. Is this a common bacteria for pools/small ponds? Are certain geographical areas more prone to the growth of the bacteria? Like, would Michigan be a more likely place for growth verses Florida or vice versa? Just curious. Thank you

The duck is fully feathered, I said a couple months because I do not remember when the people said he hatched. It was probably around the beginning of May. We drained the pond, no turtles. At the bottom was sandy debris and the water was green, but nothing else. Must be something we cannot see with the naked eye.
    Thank you for the idea of testing the water, I may do that after the pond refills itself. I research wildlife ponds, because I do not have access to springs and thought the ducks could play if they wanted being they do in the wild, but it may not have been such a good idea. Thank goodness it is not real large like I originally wanted.

Thanks again!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    HollyDuckFarmer gave me this link that may answer some questions. http://www.ehow.com/about_6454399_poultry-disease-botulism.html#page=0
    We have no idea how many waterfowl die each year from stagnant water.

6. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks for the link! I read it and it is more vague than I wanted, but I did not know of any of the others listed, so it is still helpful. I book marked it.

I would think I would see lots of dead waterfowl, since there are so many swamps around my area. I have never seen any weak ducks, geese, or turkeys and I have seen them for years hanging around the swamps. Now, are reptiles and amphibians resistant since they are found a lot in stagnate water?

I guess, I will have to eliminate the wildlife ponds and stick to buckets....boring, but safe. Thanks again.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I was born in Fl. and we had a huge drainage ditch that ran behind our property all manner of wild life lived there. so I'm not real sure I know all I need to know about Botulism and stagnant water. I know here I usually will pour Oxine ah mixed with water into standing water since the flock will stand in it and poop then turn around and drink out of it. Makes me feel better anyway. especially when the mud starts to dry and it's green. I think you should have the water tested, I don't think it costs much to have it done. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

8. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks. I am not sure what I will do, but for now wildlife pond is out of business. I did move a kids sand box into their pen and I will empty that frequently. This is a lot less water and I can empty easy. I put logs all around the sandbox to give the wildlife feel, and disguise the hideous green turtle. They seemed to enjoy. I do not want to risk any ducks lives.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The ducks could care less what they play in as long as it holds water and they can poop in it. [​IMG]

10. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I find some of mine prefer smaller tubs than their larger kiddie pools. would have loved to put a pond in but after serious consideration I think these guys would rather swim beside a pond in a funky lil mud hole lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by