few week old chick acting lethargic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StaceyRoop, Oct 8, 2007.

1. StaceyRoop

StaceyRoop New Egg

Oct 8, 2007
    Southern NJ
    Hey my mom gave some eggs to a friend who has an incubator and 10 of the eggs hatched. But now we are down to 9.

Now one more is starting to act lethargic. It of course is my favorite one!

We have them in a box with kitty litter as the base and we clean there water 3 times a day with bleach.

We let them outside in a cage during the warm part of the day.

Any suggestions? I think this one is one of the hens of the group *sigh*

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The kitty litter could be causing problems if they are consuming it. Are they warm enough, cool enough? Are you sure you're rinsing the bleach out of the waterer well? Are they eating, pooping, etc? Could be many factors, but that's a start to rule out the obvious.

Jody

3. StaceyRoop

StaceyRoop New Egg

Oct 8, 2007
    Southern NJ
    they have a light bolb in the box to keep them warm.

Yup eating and pooping fine. All the others are fine except the one who seemed lethargic.
    (doesn't run when I pick them up, doesn't squawk as much etc, my brother noticed the behavior of that chick too and told my mom as well).

The bleach is being rinsed out well to my knowledge.

We actually started using the bleach after the first one died. We had them in the kitchen at that time as well.

We moved them out of the kitchen into the garage almost a week ago.

They have their wing feathers - a little downly left but that is it. I think they are like 3 weeks old.

How long do we have till they are out of danger?

We use to raise chicks every year, years ago and we always lost a few. I hate it eventhough chickens aren't my favorite animal I stil hate to see an animal die especially if I can prevent it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by