FF & Silkies?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickNanny13, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Been doing FF for about a year now, LOVE the benefits! Raising chicks on it is great but they get so darn MESSY! Found a soft toothbrush with warm water cleans them up pretty good with much fuss. I raise chicks for a friend & have (4) pullets of my own that use a plastic dog bowl. The chicks I used/tried the round & trough type feeder with lid & without, they get FF all over themselves & brooder :( but it's worth it, a 6 - 8wk ordeal.

Now I'm thinking of getting some Silkies but not sure how that would work out. Anyone with Silkies using FF? Ideas as to how to keep chicks from getting FF all over themselves? Appreciate all your ideas and opinions, THANK YOU in advance.

2. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    I have found that mine prefer a very thick mash. I ferment a little runny, then just add more crumble to thicken to where I want before feeding. Like super thick oatmeal that stays in clumps and doesn't flatten out when I put in dish. I don't have silkies, but did notice less chunks stuck on feathers when I thickened. Less splash when they peck at it.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Know exactly what you mean! Prefer working with thicker consistency, I still strain it for a few minutes before I feed them. I was just wondering if anyone with Silkies using FF, how much harder it is keeping them clean. Thank you balloon flower!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by