Fiber Glass panels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantimna, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Be used for the walls of a coop.
    Here's the story:
    We have alot of wood [​IMG] but most of it is really valuble and not for coop construction.
    And our coop will be in half sun half shade so it would get quite warm inside because we have really warm weather.
    We have +- 30 Fiber Glass Panels, that we are not using and is allowed for construction.
    Will these cause any harm to the chickens?

Thanks,
    Sibone

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That's an interesting question. Based on how at least well-weathered older fiberglass panels affect my bare skin when working with them, I would suggest not having them anywhere chickens could rub their face/eyes/wattles/combs against them. So, maybe use lumber or plywood for the bottom 3' or so, and next to the roosts; or put wire mesh up so the chickens can't get right against the panels.

For the rest of the sides, I think the main two considerations would be heat gain (the translucent panels, which is all I'm familiar with, do create a certain degree of 'greenhouse effect' unless the structure is largely/mostly open to the air, e.g. only two solid walls) and predator-resistance (the panels are not, themselves, tremendously strong, especially as they age, so I would make sure they are backed up by stuff to keep yer stronger and more determined grade of predators from busting through).

I could see some circumstances where they could usefully be recycled for part of the walls of a coop. I could also see circumstances where that might be less than wise. Depends on your exact situation, I think.

If you are concerned about the coop getting too hot inside, the simplest and best solution is usually to have most or all of one or more walls be wire mesh rather than solid. With enough open-air-ness like that, coop temperature will be no higher than the outdoor air (which is really the best you're ever going to do without a large area of shade, or I suppose an air conditioner [​IMG])

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    The only concern I would have is breakdown over time and it getting too hot in there.. Make sure you have very good ventilation .. Other then that If I had it at my disposal Id use it..

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you at elevation with occasional high winds? Not sure what Part of South Africa...

If you can use the fibreglass beyond your wire mesh out of pecking range they might serve as a windbreak. Be sure the birds can't get to them.

You might consider 1/2" gauge hardware cloth for everyday use and optional covers/flaps for extreme weather. Or if you have an excessively windy side, use the sheltering panels there and mesh elsewhere.

Polycarbonate panels are designed for that, they are available from greenhouse suppliers. They can be expensive.

More reasonably-priced vinyl panels can be obtained from hardware outlets (clear, or opaque). They can be used for roofing (opaque) or side panels.

Do you have photos which would help us to advise you? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Bantimna

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:I will take photo's of the area where I plan to put my coop.
    I live the province of Mpumalanga, South Africa
    I can't say exactly where in MP, because it's confidential.

Thank everyone I'll try get pics up [​IMG]

6. LynneP

Oh I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

I checked Google Earth to see your province- how stunning, my jaw is on my chest...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. Bantimna

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Today, it rained cat's and dogs so I can't get exact pics.
    I don't live in a part where it gets very windy.
    Here are some:
    This is the site it as progressed quite alot,from the pic.
    But no building.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. LynneP

You will have excellent drainage and some wind protection from the stone wall, too. You could easily use that fibreglass to roof the coop and run, you know, sloping so that you get shade and so that rain runs out to the slope and away from the coop/run.

It's lovely ground, what predators are nearby?[​IMG]

9. Bantimna

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Actually we have double wind protection! Behind the wall is a big building that prevents big wind storms!
    The predators are:
    [​IMG]
    Yael the Boxer has a huge taste for chickens [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fergus could still be changed [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Briggite is a tame as a lamb and will/would listen [​IMG]
    We have a hawk problem here [​IMG]

10. LynneP

We used to have four Dobermans! Brigitte looks smart and loving. Boxer are popular here too, what is Fergus?

Since you have so much fibreglass, it would be logical to roof the run and never have to worry about raptors or anything else.
    And a lot of us use 1/2" gauge hardware cloth for the side panels on the run and you could probably frame it for part of the coop, too, considering your 30+ temps.

Whatever you decide, keep the dogs away from the birds, but they will be wonderful for guarding the coop and property in general.

What, no lions? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by