Fiber Optic WHAT?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. joebryant

    joebryant Crowing

    We just bought a 55-inch LED TV with all the latest and greatest on it. It's so snooty that it will not accept our almost new Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker ANALOG system. The Home Theater installer guy said we'd have to buy a "fiber optic digital audio system". Does anyone know what that means (other than our having to spend $5,000,000 +or_ a few $) and where to buy one CHEAP?
  2. 19hhbelgian

    19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

    Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Fiber optic refer to the wiring... other than that ??? If it doesn't work out you can send us you new TV! [​IMG] [​IMG] It sounds like it's just going to be problems [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. EweSheep

    EweSheep Flock Mistress

    Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep the wires! It is not going to be cheap but at least it is cheaper than your TV! [​IMG]
  4. joebryant

    joebryant Crowing

    Quote:Quote:Quote:LOL It's refreshing and comforting to know that there are at least three of us electronic geniuses on this chicken forum.
  5. Rosalind

    Rosalind Songster

    Mar 25, 2007
    I have that exact surround sound on my computer. Glad you mentioned this, DH was making noises about getting a fancy TV.

    Go to New Egg and see what they have for fancy-shmancy fiber optic systems. They usually have as good a deal as you can find anywhere, occasionally they have really great deals on sales. But I am thinking it really is not going to be all that cheap.
  6. joebryant

    joebryant Crowing

    Quote:Thanks, I went to New Egg. You're right; they do have some good bargains, but I could not tell from the descriptions whether they were analog or digital speaker systems. I tried to find a way to call them on the telephone, but they don't list a telephone number, just email chat. I needed live help, but thanks anyway.
  7. apukanski

    apukanski Songster

    Aug 30, 2008
    I want to get one of those new big tv's, that will be a good question before I buy. I hear to stay away from plasma and go for Lcd.
  8. joebryant

    joebryant Crowing

    Quote:My understanding (?) is that led is actually a type of lcd, just the latest big improvements of it. Sure is a super picture.
  9. Rosalind

    Rosalind Songster

    Mar 25, 2007
    I did a search on New Egg for "digital surround sound" and found a few Sony systems (HT-SS360, BDV-E500W and BDV-E300) that run $300-700. There's a Samsung cheapie version for $230. And then there are the Bose systems. *coughs* If you were looking to spend that much.
  10. joebryant

    joebryant Crowing

    Thanks, I'll check that search phrase and resulting systems out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: