Fiberglass Coops Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roerinaci, Jul 30, 2014.

1. roerinaci

roerinaci Chirping

Jul 14, 2014
    Good Morning [​IMG] just came across a site Eggstreams Coops That make fiberglass chicken coops..Besides the cost which is expensive and other pro's & con's of these coops..[​IMG]

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Just an observation: at that price they should come with some sort of warranty on the hardware and finish. Also, I think the number of birds they say their coops will accommodate is a little optimistic.

With this said, it is a great idea and makes for a clean finished appearance. I don't know about the chemistry of birds and fiberglass, but I'd want to be sure the fiberglass was fully cured in the hot sun before putting birds in it. Would love to see one up close.

3. roerinaci

roerinaci Chirping

Jul 14, 2014
    Petrel also my husband was questioning the ventilation he's worried it would be a hot house in the summer..I love the cleaning aspect of it ..

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would think it would not only be hot, but it won't breathe. So it may sweat. If you live in a climate that sees cold winters, your birds could get frost bite if the inside walls can't breathe. Plastic coops are the same way....even with good ventilation, they can hold a lot of moisture and this warm moist air wants to fall back down on the birds as water and frost. So just be aware of this. :)

5. roerinaci

roerinaci Chirping

Jul 14, 2014
    Thank You Two Crows yes being in Northern New Hampshire that would be a big problem ..

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, neat looking coops but would worry about ventilation from the way those look. You might try posting in the Coops forum about fiberglass coops, and maybe check out old threads there have been a number of threads on people who use camper tops or the Rubbermaid storage sheds etc as coops which would be along the same lines.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows' observations. Wood breathes much better than fiberglass or plastic. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We used to use the fiberglass shipping kennels when we had dogs- the entire front was a metal grill- but considering how small the kennels were that was probably a good percentage for ventilation.

I haven't seen fiberglass coops, I'll have to google to see what amount of ventilation they have, windows, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: