Fiberglass coops

drelleng

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2013
I am looking at fiberglass coops offered at MyPetChicken. Does anyone have experiences, good or bad with these. Aside from the price, I like the idea of the low maintenance. I have tried looking for past posts but saw nothing newer that 2014. Thank you

Since no one has answered yet I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you could be more specific as to which one you're looking at I could be more specific in my answer. All of them overstate how many chickens they're made for. In other words, if the ad says it's good for 4, cut that down to 2. If it says 10, it's good for 5. Most of them do not have adequate ventilation although the 5X6 coop looks like it might. None of the ones I looked at showed a floor plan. About the only thing I like for certain is the longevity/toughness of the fiberglass coops. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Thank you for your reply. My biggest concern about these coops is that I don't have any reviews from someone who has actually used them. There are no reviews yet on the MyPetChicken website. The one I'm looking at is the 5 x 6 and is the "Eggstreme Fiberglass Coop". I currently have 6 chickens (large) and would like to build up to 12. My current coop is only big enough for 5 to 6 (Costco) and I am having trouble keeping up with repairs on the wood.

for 12 chickens a nice 8x8 with a large run... part of it covered, would be perfect.

The fiberglass coop you are looking at would be great for a broody pen, or for growing out chicks.

I don't know what kind of weather you have since your location is not in your profile, but I wouldn't put more than 6 birds in the coop. If you have a very large run or free range, have very mild winters where birds are not confined to the coop, and the birds only use the coop for roosting and nesting, then maybe a couple more, but that would be it. Even under ideal conditions the coop is not large enough for 12 birds IMO.

I don't know what kind of weather you have since your location is not in your profile, but I wouldn't put more than 6 birds in the coop. If you have a very large run or free range, have very mild winters where birds are not confined to the coop, and the birds only use the coop for roosting and nesting, then maybe a couple more, but that would be it. Even under ideal conditions the coop is not large enough for 12 birds IMO.
Yes, that makes sense. I think I will look elsewhere. I am in Arizona and my girls are free roaming during the day but I would like something large enough for 12. Thank you for everyone's response.

For the money you're willing to spend, have you considered having a shed built, or even a woods coop built onsite?

Yes I thought about that especially after hearing back from everyone on this post. I'm thinking more and more that that would be a better option.

Back
Top Bottom