Fibrous Yolk Weirdness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericbolstridge, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ericbolstridge

ericbolstridge New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Here's an egg my wife cracked this morning. The yolk came out just like this, all fiber-y and shapeless. Any ideas? Is it safe to eat?

[​IMG]We have 17 birds of many varities, no rooster. Half the birds are one year old, half are almost two. The egg was light brown and on the small side. We've had the occassional odd egg, but nothing like this.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You're sure she didn't break the yolk while cracking the egg? The only time I've seen them like this is if I bust the yolk while cracking it, or if my kids collect. I guess they shake them when they come running all excited to show ne they found one. Other than that, I'm afraid I haven't got anything else to offer. But, this reply will at least bump your thread so someone else who knows what they're talking about can have the chance to see it :)
    Nikki

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Another thought that just popped into my head, maybe the egg froze while waiting to be collected then thawed while waiting to be cooked...
    Nikki

4. ericbolstridge

ericbolstridge New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Frozen is a pretty solid theory, pun intended. We've had cold nights and close up the birds pn the early side so it could have been outside for quite a while (and then sat in the fridge for a few days to thaw). I suppose this is easily testable. I'll put an egg in the freezer and report back in a couple days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by