Fiddler On The Roof chickens.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Egghead_Jr, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Recently re-watched Fiddler On The Roof and was currious as to what breed of chicken that is running about throughout the movie. Buff body with brown hackles. They're similar to buff sussex but darker.

BTW, I recommend revisting the old classics like Fiddler....so funny...the "what are you talking about?" scene where he thinks the butcher will want more cows when he's actually talking about taking one of his daughters for a wife. "Of course, you'll like that one and later come back to get another." "What are you talking about!?" [​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I love that movie. Time to watch it again. [​IMG]

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:this is funny! I saw this movie when it first came out, was too young to really get it. Now, I see mention of Topol and the movie on "Notting Hill" the other day, my MIL sent it for a christmas gift, I hadnt thought about it in years, Watched it a few days ago, and lo and behold its mentioned here!
    Amazing how that happens....Ill have to watch it again to see those chickens! BTW, I kind of missed the point of the FOTR significance in the movie where Topol says "a fiddler on the roof is like......."what??? Just curious if anyone knows....[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wow, just had to search through the movie for the chickens and must I say - That move is sexist. [​IMG]

Anyway, the chickens look like a mix of mutts. There's some orange ones in the beginning with black tails, could be anything. . . There's some Wheaten colored ones later (probably what you're referring to) but nothing purebred or recognizeable.

5. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I watched that movie last in 3rd grade!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by