Field gone wild?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gabby3535, Mar 23, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 1 acre fenced field, in one corner of which sits my barn and now my chicken coop and 18 x 25 ft. run.
    I usually keep the field mowed.......so that it is beautiful, and looks like a golf course................but I am wondering..........
    now that the chickens live here, and this field will be their free-range area..........can I let the field grass grow long?
    I would keep a 3 foot (or so) mowed perimeter inside the fence line.......and perhaps cut a few 'pathways' thru the tall grass,
    just to keep things interesting for the chickens to forage thru...........................
    but will the tall grass be okay for them if they decide to eat it? Could they pull off too long a piece and get it stuck in their
    crops................or might they know better than that?

I like the idea of letting the wildflowers come up, and letting the chickens not be so 'exposed' (vs if I keep the field mowed, that is),
    and for them to have some interesting 'paths' of mowed grass to wander down, etc..............but would this set-up be
    okay if they decided to eat the long grass?

They will not be free ranging unless I am home, by the way..........and there will be 4 or 5 wood pallet tee-pees for them to
    seek shelter in, should a hawk fly over, etc...................

What do you think?
    Do chickens and tall grass get along?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I like the idea of letting it grow and cutting them some paths. Maybe you could make them a maze! That could keep them very entertained! [​IMG]

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

chicken maze.... [​IMG] I imagine them all out in there wandering about with one squawking "Marco!" and another squawking "Polo!" (or would that be "Pollo"? [​IMG] )

I think it's a cool idea, I'd do it.

meri

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I imagine them all out in there wandering about with one squawking "Marco!" and another squawking "Polo!" (or would that be "Pollo"? [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

(bonus funny point for creating a bilingual pun!!)​

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    That would be neat to make a maze [​IMG]

I would do it if we wouldn't be overrun with rattlesnakes hiding in the grass [​IMG]

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I think it is a great idea! I know my chickens would enjoy it. It would even give them a hiding spot incase a hawk flew over. I don't think you need to worry about the chickens eating anything too long or big. They will do fine. How exciting!

7. ceadar post

ceadar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I did this and it works great.[​IMG] Did this some years back the grass grows in and even have a few wild shrubs growing in there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by