Field trip!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allseeingeye, Feb 2, 2014.

1. allseeingeye

allseeingeye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Mandeville, La.
    We've had a very unusually frigid winter here in the New Orleans area. This last week alone we experienced the a 2 day ice storm (something unheard of here) and snow in some areas and the schools were closed for 3 days. But in true Louisiana fashion, yesterday was in the 70's and quite nice. Since my chicks are 4 weeks old now, it seemed like a grand time for an adventure (and what an adventure it was!)

Everyone did wonderfully, except this one adventurous Americauna who decided to break away from the flock. When I realized she was separated, it was too late! Under the back porch she went! My wife and I managed to get her out, but not before she exploited a gap in the fence that I didn't know was there. She then made her way to my neighbors driveway and then up above the axle of a truck that was in the driveway. Yikes! Thankfully my neighbor is very goodhearted and was already quite excited about our having chickens. A brief rescue mission later, and this pesky little Americauna was in my arms and back with the rest of the flock. Can I breathe now? LOL

A few pictures of them enjoying the warm sun before the weather decided to get muggy, gray and foggy again.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwww! I just love little chicks too! I've got a little monster here too, she's just to smart for her own good! [​IMG] Glad everyone is okay! Enjoy them!
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010

Nice little flock! Yes, those Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, and others can be quite flighty. You may want to clip those wings! I always clip my EE's wings. There are sites on how this is done. Will see if I can find one.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by