Fierce Hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Henrietta2, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Henrietta2

Henrietta2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have three hens, a barred rock, a buff Orpington, and an Amaurana(sp?), an easter-egger who lays green eggs. They were were all born in March and purchased at the same time and have grown up with each other. The BOrp has always been head hen. However, in the past week my EEgger has become fractious. They will all be just pecking around in the yard and she will suddenly just run up to one of the other hens and just PECK her repeatedly around the head region. As she does this she throws up her neck feathers just like a rooster. The other hens are starting to cower a little when she comes near. I tried putting food at opposite sites in the yard but she seems determined to drive the other hens away from whatever they are eating. Any ideas out there?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sometimes it helps to put the bad ones in jail - a crate or cage away from the others, for a few days. When they come back to the flock they are at the lower end of the pecking order.

If she continues to be a tyrant you could try and rehome her or have her for dinner. Are all three of them laying? Sometimes a new layer gets kind of weird like they don't know what is happening to them.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I agree with Drumstick Diva. It may just be laying hormones, but if the continues with this behaviour it may be time to separate her from the flock for a few days and let her calm down and get knocked down a few pegs. Good luck!

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve[​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! She seems like she's trying to take over and move up the food chain. Just make sure she doesn't draw blood.

7. Henrietta2

Henrietta2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

Thankyou for the info! I sat and watched my ladies yesterday and noticed my Fierce Hen, the one who just recently started pecking the others, was EXTREMELY upset when a little wren landed in the yard. She chased it into a tree and then followed it up into the tree (first time ever). So last night I clipped one wing to keep her grounded. Well, either her fierce behaviour was just a hormone swing, or getting her flight feathers clipped resulted in an attitude adjustment, because today she was back at the bottom, collecting pecks of her own! I've included a pic of my "chicken bouquet". They love wild mustard, and the eggs have a very strong flavor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by