fiesty leghorn and fertilization question--please advise!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by btpeters, Aug 26, 2007.

1. btpeters

btpeters In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    Grafton Ohio
    hello!
    i am a newbie to this site, but sooo thankful for all i have learned so far.smile

we have 6 hens--pullets--that get along great. tonight we purchased a few more at the fair. we ended up with 2 docile white cochin hens and one fiesty leghorn hen. we put them altogether in the coop after the 6 were asleep, but the leghorn is in a cat carrier b/c we aren't sure how she'll be in the morning. so....any advice on how to go about making sure the other girls don't get pecked on in the morning?

also, do you think we can just let them all roam around the yard with the others all day and assume they will come back?? we live on 3 acres and somehow the first batch always knew where our property was and would always come back.

one more question that i'm really curious about. ... we have no rooster at this point. is it possible that these hens from the fair, who came from a farm with many roosters, are prego?roll? i apologize if this is an incredibly stupid question, but i would assume that is possible, and that if we left the eggs for them to sit on, we could get little chicks at some point??? is there any way to know if the eggs have been fertilized or not? how long after a hen has been with a rooster could her eggs still possibly be fertilized? hope this makes sense. i'm kind of excited at the possibility of having some eggs hatch!

thanks for any help you have time to give!! brittany

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Hi,
    It is remotely possible for a hen to lay a fertilized egg for up to around 2 weeks after last mating.

Unless you have a broody hen that will sit on those eggs, chances of them hatching are 0.

How old are they?

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you didn't quarintine them for a month before putting them in with your chickens you run the risk of possibly spreading illness to all of them.

Use the search function and check out the post by speackledhen on quarintines.

4. btpeters

btpeters In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    Grafton Ohio
    They told me the cochins and leghorn are 1 year,---they also said that one of the cochins is a very broody and a good mother. So sounds like there is a possibility for chicks?! I'll have to look up some info on how all that works---we have not yet gone through that since we don't have a rooster yet.
    Thanks for your input on quarantining--I'm working on that and have separated the chickens.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Chances are by the time your cochins are comfortable enough to set on eggs, her eggs will no longer be fertile. As prep for the fair they may have also been separated from the roos for a while as to not damage their feathers. They can lay fertile eggs at most for a month after last mating with a roo but the ratio of fertile will slowly decline as time goes on. If you want any possibility of chicks from them you should gather their eggs and artificially incubate. Not all hens will go broody either, there are always exceptions.

6. btpeters

btpeters In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    Grafton Ohio
    ok, i see now that it is a far shot...i don't have incubating equipment, and was simply seeing it as an unexpected surprise from the chicken stork:) i must say that the one they said was broody alot, seems to sit on the next an awful lot---and there are 2 eggs in in the nest she chose for herself. i know for a fact that one of my buff orps laid an egg there before her this morning- but am not sure whose is whose for sure. one is totally brown, and the other brown with white "freckles". does anyone know which egg color typically belongs to which hen (buff orp or white standard cochin)? i've checked online for pics, but am having a hard time of it. [​IMG] thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: