Fig Season is Here!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MissChessy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Anyone here putting up fig preserves???? Got any recipes or ideas of what to do with figs.

My mother and I put up 24 pint jars of fig preserves, peach, apricot, strawberry and lemon flavored fig preserves.

I have just the small figs, not the Turkey Figs.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I wish I had some figs. Lucky you.

3. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Do you know any folks nearby, ask them if they have fig trees you can pick off of, never know, a lot of people don't care for figs. I got my figs from a couple of friends. Two are my neighbors and another lady is a friend from out of town-she brings the figs to my husband at work.

I wish we could grow a fig tree here on our property, we tried about 12 years ago and the tree died. Got flooded.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    My tree is loaded, but none are ripe yet. A few yellow ones have fallen off, and there are a few that the turkeys have sampled. This will be the first big crop for my tree. I hope they turn out good. The few figs it made last year were kind of blah.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I LOVE figs. We are thinking of planting one out here. It is not fig season yet in Oregon!

I am interested to know what you will do with them, too. I'm sure you can dehydrate them.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a dehydrator, so I thought about trying that. I don't know that I'll have enough to put any preserves up. I probably wouldn't eat them, anyway. I have a jar my mom gave me three years ago I still haven't finished. It probably has mold growing in it. [​IMG]

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    yeah, that's old. throw it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by