Fight in coop?

hzdjj

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
I have two 4-month old pullets, one is a white leghorn, and one is a golden laced wyandotte. Both are getting along well and were raised up from day-old. I did have a third Buff Orpington Cockerel who I sadly got rid of last week. When the cockerel was still there, he was obviously the highest one on the pecking order. The leghorn was pretty afraid of the cockerel and always ran away when the cockerel was near. The Wyandotte was sort of like in the middle of the pecking order (or maybe not?)

So last night, around 11:30PM, I heard chicken screaming multiple times in the coop, and went to check it out. It seemed that blood was drawn on the head (near the crest) of the Wyandotte (dripped on the floor as well). The leghorn was crouching near the corner. Wyandotte is quite bigger than the leghorn, so I was surprised to see him injured instead. See pics I took this morning...

The coop is also pretty dark with no lights except maybe small dim leakage from the house. My coop is also not very big, sadly, but the chicks roam a big run and sometimes the entire yard so they have plenty of space during the day.

Personality wise, they are typical leghorns (nervous a bit flighty) and wyandotte (aloof).

I was curious what happened. Any thoughts guys?

Attachments

• tempImageEUpYjY.png
    tempImageEUpYjY.png
    5 MB · Views: 14
Are you sure there wasn't any other pest or predator in the coop, instead of them fighting?

I also thought about that. My coop is in a fully enclosed big run, and the coop itself is also fully enclosed with only a wired window. I checked for signs of any intrusion immediately after, and couldn't really see anything, so it's kinda unlikely to me.

Could it be that the leghorn got scared somehow by the presence of a predator outside and started some wild behavior?

Could it be that the leghorn got scared somehow by the presence of a predator outside and started some wild behavior?
...and maybe ran into or brushed against something sharp, like a splinter? Or the other bird, which might have been spooked as well in the dark? That's a possibility as well.

...and maybe ran into or brushed against something sharp, like a splinter? Or the other bird, which might have been spooked as well in the dark? That's a possibility as well.
yea, I don't have a video to know what actually happened. The leghorn was squatting near the corner, while wyandotte was anxiously wandering. I also noticed a feather stick on one side of the wyandotte's face... there was definitely a chaos, although I didn't really see anything else other than blood and feathers...

Back
Top Bottom