Fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southsidesouth, May 6, 2008.

1. southsidesouth

southsidesouth New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well my chicks are 3 weeks old and they are fighting or play fighting don't know. Has this happen to anyone's chicks? By the this is my 1st post!!!!!!!

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Chicks definitely play, but if the are doing the whole kick-boxing thing, they may be roos. Were they striaght run??

And BTW, [​IMG]

You might as well start adding on the the coop now, cuz with all the crazies on here, you will have 300 times the chickens you have now by next year. Hope you enjoy your time here, Blessings, Suz

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As long as there is no blood being drawn (as in pecking/picking) it sounds like they are just being chicks.

We had one young cockeral who had to put everyone "in their place" at that age. He was the big man until they got older and two of the other boys got bigger than him and put him in his place (he's now seperated from the rest of the flock).

Dawn

4. southsidesouth

southsidesouth New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, are striaght run and no blood being drawn so I think they are just playing.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Im gonna be blunt here, so get ready. It is ugly:

They are preparing for the real world. It is 'sport'
    to us, but it is in deadly earnest to them. Let one be blooded and the others will pounce. I've watched them shred one of thier own in a hurry.

These are birds, with a flock mentality. They are fighting for their place and to weed out the weakers. It's survival to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by