fighting a losing battle! - red mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jul 6, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im so close to just burning all my chicken houses...im so stressed!
    been fighting red mites for over a month, and just when i think ive got them all, another house breaks out in an infestation [​IMG]((

i empty out all the houses, take out all perches, brush off all loose dust...spray down with bleach water scrub and rinse, let them air dry then dust with mite powder, i have smeared all perches with vaseline then replaced and sealed around the edges so no cracks for the mites to get in. ive also sprayed with an aerosol type cannister that is supposed to be for blood mites in pigeons...i could geet this in all the small cracks and crannies. but within a week theres mites again, not many but they're their. if i dont intervene its a full blown invasion within a week. i cant keep taking the houses down and cleaning them out like this, its a days work on each house (and theres 7 houses out there!

my chickens refuse to go in them anymore and all sleep along the fence posts which concerns me as they're open to predators at night.

is there any sure fire way of getting rid of red blood mites from in the houses??? or should i just torch them all and buy new?? but then no doubt within a few weeks the new houses will be infected? what is causing the reinfection? the chickens have all been treated for mites, and these ones dont actually live on the chickens do they? but im guessing they are hitching rides from house to house?

argh!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    What is mite powder? Seven dust? Are you retreating in 10days to catch any further hatches both on birds and in coops? You may want to go with ivomec pour on.
    sharon

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ivomec pour on cannot be used in the houses...it would be useless to try it needs to be on the host
    i use pour on on the birds. at the moment im treating the houses every 7 days yet im still finding mites., its really soul destroying. i dread going out there to check [​IMG]
    mite dust = zerox-p...its for use on pigs, goats, cows, pigs, chickens and also for in their houses. 0,2% pyrethrinen + 2% piperonyl butoxide

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for the anguish! I use the liquid permitherin concentrate....3 oz to a gallon of water in a garden sprayer... then dust with permitherin the birds and treat every two weeks....it's the only thing that works...sevin doesn't even touch the mites (in my case, at least) Hope that helps...good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by