Fighting ammonia

jbltecnicspro

Hatching
Aug 30, 2021
Good evening all,

First time chicken owner and first time poster. Can't wait to be involved here. As the title suggests, I've been fighting an ammonia smell in our coop for about a month now. It's not very strong but it's there, and I need to figure out how to get rid of it.

As a coop, we're using half of an old tool shed. The tool shed itself is 10x12 feet, and half of it is partitioned off as a coop for 15 Buff Orpington pullets. Total area of the coop portion is 10 x 6 feet, giving 60 sq ft of space. The nest boxes rest inside the coop but are high enough off the floor so that some of the chickens go under.

During the day, I leave the two front doors to the shed fully open. In addition to leaving the doors open, I have about 13 sq feet of ventilation. I plan on adding more ventilation so that when I close the doors I have enough. But right now, I just leave the doors open, exposing (more or less) the north wall to open air.

Beginning in May, after I put the chickens in the coop, I have been doing deep bedding with pine shavings. No poo boards, just mainly stirring the litter every week until recently when it starting smelling. The smell that I'm smelling is ammonia, I'm pretty sure. It's never strong enough to be offensive, but it's definitely there. For the first couple of months, I had hardly any ventilation in the coop. And since then I've cut out portions of the walls (and covered them with hardware cloth) so that there's about 13 sq ft of ventillation. So far the ventilation that I've cut out is only where the chicken's partition is. I probably (realistically) have another two sq ft left until I run out of reasonable room to cut ventilation for them. If I cut away the walls for ventilation where the tools are, then I figure I can add another six sq ft of ventilation.

During the day, I'd say bout 75% of the time, if you go in you don't smell any ammonia. The smell is usually only present right after I stir the bedding or if the chickens are all in there and scratching away at their bedding. Is this normal?

Yeah... For some reason, even though I have half-shaded run (50% shaded, 50% sun - their run is 16 x 12 ft), they still like to go in the coop during the day and hang around until late afternoon, when the sun is over the trees. Also, there are times where if I first walk into the shed, I smell ammonia. But then if I go into their area and stand there and crouch down, I smell nothing. I'm wondering if the fact that only half of my shed is ventilated is making it so that pockets full of air containing ammonia are lingering where they shouldn't be?

Anyways - I plan on adding the additional ventilation around the other parts of the shed that aren't the "coop." Was just wondering if I'm on the right track here, or if I need to be checking other things out first. Thanks! And I look forward to being on this forum.

PS - one of my hens has started laying. She's only laid three eggs though, but we've only had the chickens for 19 weeks now. I guess I also need to start a "what breed is this" thread too because my Buff Orpingtons look a little too dark brown. But that could also be what I get for getting my chicks at the feed store. :D

are you adding fresh litter every week? I am new to chicken keeping also so I am not speaking as an expert. I have 6 ISA Browns that we got last march. Each week I throw in more pine shavings to cover up the poop. Seems like I saw somewhere that you need to maintain a 20-1 Carbon to nitrogen ratio in your deep litter. So you need to maintain 20 times more litter than poop. I also throw some chicken scratch in hen house so the chicken will stir up the litter.

Hey all. Thank you for the replies!

I should be able to get photos soon. Wife's phone just died and I had to give her mine as a backup. I'm now using another backup phone. As soon as we get the situation sorted I'll take some photos of the coop.

The floor is wood, and I'm using pine shavings as a bedding. I have started putting wood boards under their roost bars at night as makeshift droppings boards and have been cleaning them every morning. Only takes about five minutes. I scrape them off into a big bucket and store it outside. I also added more shavings to the bedding and so far the ammonia smell is gone.

I do have some other questions but I don't want to derail the original request for pictures, so I'll get those hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.

Also - more of my chickens are starting to lay eggs. Yay! I now have six collected and will start consuming them soon. Exciting times. :)

I can concur sweetpdz is great!! I use it in my coop and run for my flock. I had to dig some and adjust today (IDA showed me some flood issues) it does not help that I have ducks also.. They are little trench diggers just not where I need them it's where they want them. I lay a layer of sweetpdz and then cover in a layer of bedding. I don't have to do much since the chickens LOVE to mix and aerate it. I'm doing a compost deep litter method and will do full clear. I look forward to my fertilizer for gardening just takes time to break down. Eggs are exciting!! I have mix of meat birds, layers, ducks (if they lay they stay) and can't wait for that harvest. I'm excited you get to move forward with the chicken venture. I do use pine pellets https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb for puddles I'm filling in put on some sweetpdz and then top with sawdust. I restrict access personally until they are absorbing and less exciting (layer pellets are well pellet shaped as well). They peck say bleh this mush isn't food and move on.. lol. You will really enjoy the sweetpdz I use a medium plastic dixie cup to scoop and sprinkle.

Any updates to share? I am also using deep litter in a 30 sqft coop with 6 pullets. Only 1 is laying so far. I only notice a slight ammonia smell when I turn the litter, which is about every other day. Otherwise, it's not noticeable at all. There's no smell if you're standing right next to it. The coop has a lot of ventilation.

I suspect I didn't create a thick enough base layer when I put litter in for the first time, which was about 6 weeks ago when we got our girls. I say this because A.) the smell when turning it and B.) I'm not seeing much breakdown of the poop when I'm flipping over the litter. It's still in "turd form" lol 😆

I have just added about 3" additional shavings. So, it should be about 6-8" deep now. From now on, I'll toss in scratch and sprinkle more litter 1-2 times a week (was only adding every 1-2 weeks). I hope this helps, but if it persists, I may have to try Sweet PDZ or start over, which I really hope to avoid. 🙁

I suspect I didn't create a thick enough base layer when I put litter in for the first time, which was about 6 weeks ago when we got our girls. I say this because A.) the smell when turning it and B.) I'm not seeing much breakdown of the poop when I'm flipping over the litter.

In your coop it should be absolutely dry so the poop won't break down the way it would in the moist environment of the run.

You might find my article helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

In your coop it should be absolutely dry so the poop won't break down the way it would in the moist environment of the run.

You might find my article helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/
Thanks for clarifying. Our coop is completely dry, which is good. I mistakenly thought it'd break down into basically dirt/dust.

So as not to hijack the original poster's thread, I responded to the article you linked, which was great. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom