Fighting Among Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JustAFew XD, Nov 12, 2016.

1. JustAFew XD

JustAFew XD New Egg

Sep 9, 2015
    I have 3 hens and 1 rooster. At first my roo was showing a little aggression, pecking me, "raping" his twin sister, typical rooster stuff (I think). But then I guess my oldest hen decided that she wasn't gonna take it anymore, and started assaulting my roo at every chance she could get. She would get on top of him and pluck off his feathers, and peck at his head until he bled. She's much larger than him (she's an Easter Egger and he's a silkie), so he doesn't stand a chance. Now, whenever they get remotely near each other, my roo runs for his life, squawking and all, and my hen attacks him. It always ends bloody, and he's so afraid now. He used to be fearless, the alpha male, but now he's so timid and defeated. So what should I do? They keep on fighting, and its tearing my flock apart. In order to protect my roo, I've separated him from the coop, and now he stays in the garage. Will this have to be permanent? Will I have to keep either him or my eldest hen away from everyone else for the sake of his life? Is there anything I can do?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    How old is your rooster? If he is relatively young, then you may be able to re-introduce him to the girls, once he has matured and knows how to act around ladies.

3. JustAFew XD

JustAFew XD New Egg

Sep 9, 2015
    My rooster is 8 months old; on the other hand, his younger sister is about 7 months and my eldest is 1 year old. Well I have him in solitary confinement right now, so I don't know if my oldest hen will be a little nicer to him after having some time to cool down, or what. This whole experience, I think, has humbled him, but my eldest just won't let up. :( Can I do anything to help, really?

4. Erik the epic

Erik the epic Just Hatched

Nov 12, 2016
    Michigan
    You could give him some food for meat chickens to beef him up so he has a chance to defend himself.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Can you describe your set up? Do you free range, if not, what are the coop / run dimensions, number of feeding stations, places of refuge (mention anything else that comes to mind)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You may have a health issue with rooster.

7. JustAFew XD

JustAFew XD New Egg

Sep 9, 2015
    Uh, my coop is about 6 by 2 feet, fairly small, obviously, they all just eat from the same bowl... They're fairly close knit, like a family. They don't free range, of course; they literally live in my suburban backyard on a slab of gravel.

8. Erik the epic

Erik the epic Just Hatched

Nov 12, 2016
    Michigan
    If you had a bigger coop to give them some space that would help or you could block off one end of the coop with chicken wire and put the rooster in there.

9. JustAFew XD

JustAFew XD New Egg

Sep 9, 2015
    Update: my rooster died earlier this month. The hens seemed unfazed by it. Poor Crooky. RIP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by