Fighting and hurting a female

Mama-2-4-Ducks

Hatching
Jan 19, 2017
Help! We have four Pekin ducks, 2 males and 2 females. From early on after hatching, they seemed to single out one of the females. Often sat 3 together and left the same female alone (but close by) to sit by herself. they all got along but always grouped up 3 and 1. Then we started to see the mating begin but only one female seems to be chosen (from what we see). However, now I'm not so sure that they are mating but in fact jumping on her and pecking her (one male seems to be responsible for all of it). This poor one female "Pom-Pom" is really getting a beating. She is missing A LOT of feathers on the back of her neck and is so disheveled and nervous (rightly so because she is attacked many, many times a day - and lord knows what happens at night time). I am actually concerned for her life. Poor Pom-Pom.

Help! We have four Pekin ducks, 2 males and 2 females. From early on after hatching, they seemed to single out one of the females. Often sat 3 together and left the same female alone (but close by) to sit by herself. they all got along but always grouped up 3 and 1. Then we started to see the mating begin but only one female seems to be chosen (from what we see). However, now I'm not so sure that they are mating but in fact jumping on her and pecking her (one male seems to be responsible for all of it). This poor one female "Pom-Pom" is really getting a beating. She is missing A LOT of feathers on the back of her neck and is so disheveled and nervous (rightly so because she is attacked many, many times a day - and lord knows what happens at night time). I am actually concerned for her life. Poor Pom-Pom.
Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png

I'm sorry to hear about Pom Pom, it's no fun being bullied. Here is a link that may helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/discouraging-bullying-chicken-behavior

That M:F ratio is unhealthy for a flock. 1:3 is usually what I'd recommend, and the issue isn't going to get any better as winter wanes. The behavior you're describing is typical mating behavior and as breeding season approaches their hormone production will kick into high gear and you're likely to see even more mating.

Re-home a male or get 4 more females.

Thank you for the article. I might try to isolate the bully male, see how that works. Thank you for the suggestions! I not sure we're ready to add more ducks to our mix. But will consider it! Thank you!

Thank you for the article. I might try to isolate the bully male, see how that works. Thank you for the suggestions! I not sure we're ready to add more ducks to our mix. But will consider it! Thank you!
The article is good, but not applicable in your case since you're dealing with mating ducks and not pecking order hens. Ducks are flock animals, how do you intend to keep the "bully" separated, and not stressed out by not being part of the flock?

Hi, I am going through something like that right now.......My Two Drakes love my Call hen Penelope....To the point of her wings bleeding from being mounted and Hens after her also.....I have been keeping her in to heal....She never spends the nights out with them anymore.....Sleeps in a crate on a bed of straw....Happy Duck.....So far as of yesterday, the other hens and Drakes seem to be less aggressive with her.....I do let her out as to not ruin her place in the flock and she is much happier with Ducks.....Try what I have been doing?......Keep posting.......

Cheers!

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. So, I have been keeping poor Pom Pom in a secured duck house overnight. During the day I let her out but I then immediately put the "bully drake" into the duck house at least for a few hours. We have another drake who is definitely mating with Pom Pom but is not as brutal as the "Bully Drake". I honestly feel like we must separate her from the bully at all times. Pom Pom has raw marks on her wings (I sometimes see bleeding) and is missing a lot of feathers from the back of her head. There is another female for the Bully and he is mating with her but is not as rough, at least now he seems okay with her. We live on a pond in a suburb community. I really had no intention of adding more ducks (or more females) to the four we have but, also do not want to put them in danger or in a position to harm each other. We do have six eggs in an incubator now (my kids and husband overruled). . . . . Just a mom trying my best.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom