Fighting Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dzzzyd, May 27, 2007.

1. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Do RIR and Barred Rock chicks usually get along? I have two very young chicks together and they are fighting terribly. Was wondering if it was a breed thing? Seems they are fighting over who is going to get the most food, be closest to the water. Whatever. Just like my kids used to do. They are sooooo tiny. Can they hurt each other? Do I need to separate them? I figure this is a natural process of who's the boss...., bt how long do I let them go at it?[​IMG]

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    How old are they and how long have they been together?

3. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    You can mix breeds of chicks just fine- I had BRs and a RIR along with three other breeds and they all got along. You can even mix ages as long as the ages aren't too far apart.

They could hurt each other if they were really bad, but at that age it is more likely that they'll just work it out. You can separate them for an hour or two as a "timeout" if it is getting really bad. Alternatively, you can provide two feeders (one could just be a little dish) to see if that makes them less competitive. Or provide a distraction like a small stick or a feather for them to run around with.

-MTchick

4. Wolf

Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Piedmont of Virginia
    Like with my kids (now grown), I tend to leave 'em work it out themselves and only jump in if there's blood drawn. As youngsters, it's easier on them to establish their "pecking order" now, than to keep interrupting it till they get big enough to do some real damage to each other.

5. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Thanks for the responses. Well. I think they are no more tha a week old, if that. Tiny. They have been together since Friday afternoon. Last night when it got to be bed-time they both got into their little fleece nest together and cuddled up and went to sleep together. Guess the fighting doesn't count in bed. Like my husband and I never go to bed mad. Hahah!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All that sparring is perfectly normal behavior. They are letting off steam and playing around. Real pecking order stuff usually doesn't begin till they're a month old or so. I have 25 chicks that are almost six weeks old and only about half of those are pullets-imagine what I'm seeing right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by