Fighting Birds

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Stacykins, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have three 22 week old male turkeys. No girls. Apparently today they got it in them that it was time to start fighting. I broke them up the first time with the hose. They stopped for a while. And then they started up again and couldn't be stopped that way. Problem is, it isn't one specific instigator. Each turkey wants to go after the other two. So, if I picked up one to get him out of the line of fire (struggling turkey who wants to keep fighting = difficult to hold), then the other two went after each other with full focus on the other.

Not sure if I should have let them 'fight it out' but I stopped it. But by the time I got two in separate dog crates, they were all bloodied up with cuts all over their faces. The one who wasn't crated kept pacing outside the crates and making battle noises. He didn't put himself in the coop come nightfall, which is normal, but paced and pecked at the crates. So I tossed him in the coop and closed it up. I waited until absolute dark and then took the other two and put them in the coop's run. They were more concerned with sleep by then.

Seems like two should get the axe very soon. I don't have a big enough pot to scald, but will see if I can get one in town. Or do you think they'll chill out?

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    They should eventually... as someone else said, the shortening days are bringing it out in the toms. I have 3 toms in with 5 hens, they co-exist peacefully for the most part. Some fighting in the spring, but this year it was settled quicker than last year (they are about 2 1/2 years old now). I just let them settle it amonst themselves, otherwise I would just be delaying the inevetible unless I was planning to keep them apart for life. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by