1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaM, Jun 8, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im wondering if this is normal or not....

Ive got 2 girls, cow and rosy.. and one adult male Eugene(hes new to the flock) and 2 young males that are about 16ish weeks old.. (spongebob and squidward)

At first, they have all gotten reasonably along.. Eugene started chasing the 2 young males around, then we saw the 2 young males beating the heck out of one of the girls.. They had her on the ground and were pulling feathers from her.. I also found a nest with eggs..The darn things are getting sneaky about hiding there nest..

Are the 2 young males trying to dominate the girl, who is possibly there mother? Or are they just being little brats? I had another male that I sold because he was doing the same thing to the young males.. he almost killed one.

Ive got them all seperate now.. the 2 girls and eugene in a pen and the boys in with the geese..

Why are they doing this? Ive never kept any babies this long before so I dont know if its normal behavior that will go away or not.. I want to free range all my birds together, but dont want fights either...

2. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    In my limited experience, had one girl and three boys last year, the boys will literally bet the h&** out the hen for breeding rights. Your two boys see Eugene as compitition and will try to get to the girls first. If she is laying that means everyone is sexually mature and they are going to do all that they can to continue on with there genes and kill anything in there way to get it. The mating I have seen in the water is a near drowning. WARNING! Protect from small children. I have already had my 6 week old call duckling go after my two week old call duckling for no reason. An accident they got together. I do not think they will ever go exist unless the hen to male ratio is better. I would say two to one. Someone may have some better information for you. I just think there is too much compatition for the 2 girls. I have a question for you? Have you ever had a runt call duck?

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    T hanks for the info.. I have never had a runt call duck... all mine have been similar in size.. Isnt 16 weeks to young to be sexualy mature?? They are seperated now, so no more fighting... Ive got eggs in the bator from a friend of mine, so I will make sure to keep a few extra females to even things out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by