Fighting Chicks and Food Advice

Teachchick

Hatching
May 3, 2020
Northern CA
Hello to All,

Question 1: I am writing to find out if it is normal for three week old chicks to fight. I have a Plymouth Barred Rock and Orpington ( pretty sure cockerels) that are going chest to chest with each other. Is this behavior normal? Will pullets fight with cockerels in this way? What steps should I take to prevent this fighting?

Question 2: I am currently feeding them Ace Bar Premuim Non GMO Poultry Feed. Should they be getting something else while they are still young? I am putting electrolytes and probiotics in their water. Thanks, for your support!

Sincerely,

Teachchick

pozees2

Crowing
Feb 12, 2020
Pueblo, CO
Agree with @Mamatomany123 all chicks do that, it's more play than fight, but if they are drawing blood or pulling feathers it could be they need more space, more places to eat/drink, or more protein in the feed. At three weeks they should still be on a starter formulation, and providing chick grit will help them digest it better.

Teachchick

Hatching
May 3, 2020
Northern CA
Agree with @Mamatomany123 all chicks do that, it's more play than fight, but if they are drawing blood or pulling feathers it could be they need more space, more places to eat/drink, or more protein in the feed. At three weeks they should still be on a starter formulation, and providing chick grit will help them digest it better.
Thank you for the advice. I will double check the food. It doesn't say starter on the bag anywhere. I did tell the feed store the chicks age.

pozees2

Crowing
Feb 12, 2020
Pueblo, CO
Protein content should be at least 18% and preferably 20-22%. If the bag says "layer" on it, stop using it and get some starter, or starter/grower. Calcium content of layer feed is not good for their young, growing bodies.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I will double check the food. It doesn't say starter on the bag anywhere.

If you still have the bag, look at the tag and see what the calcium % is. If it's around 1% it's suitable for non layers. If it's 3-4% it's meant for layers and should not be fed to chicks.

Also not sure how long you've had them on probiotics/electrolytes but electrolytes in particular are not meant for extended use, so if it's been 7-10 days or more and everyone's healthy, I'd discontinue use.

Top Bottom