Fighting chicks - are they all cockerels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chook27, Jul 27, 2013.

1. chook27

chook27 In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    UK
    As the heading states, do all chicks fight or does that mean that my chicks are all cockerels?

This might be a really silly question. My chicks are 5 weeks old and recently they have started what I can only describe as cock fighting. This is in a playful manner and nobody gets hurt, but it's that kind of behavior. Any advise?

Thank you very much.

Chook27

2. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    My hens will chest bump other hens. It is not just a rooster thing. Sometimes they even puff their neck feathers out as well. Silly girls.

3. bruceh

bruceh Songster

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    when chicks are being brooded they will chest bump chase and bicker. all chicks do this. it is the pecking order. you will notice the cockerels. they will grow taller faster. however i will say this . i had a bird that was point of lay. even had an egg under it. looked a little rooish. then i went out on the pasture . that bird looked right at me and crowed. the next day the feathers on the tail became curved the waddles deepened to dark red red. rooster.was a faker sitting on that egg.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I have 6 pullets at 15.5weeks old and they all have behaved that way. They fluff their neck feathers out, beat their wings and run at each other, mine however have never actually touched each other doing it though, they get really really close and then just walk away lol

5. chick little

chick little In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    My pullets were also fighting but this is just playful behavior

6. chook27

chook27 In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    UK
    Thank you so much for all the replies, this has put my mind at rest a little. I am actually quite sure that one of them is a pullet as I've got two chicks, one had a white spot on its head and one had a black spot, meaning one should be a rooster and one should be a pullet and she is also doing the breast bumping thing.

I am quite keen to try and sex them, but have no idea where to start. I have read the article, but there seems to be a lot of ifs and buts. Is there anybody that would like to have a go just from pictures? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    chook27

p.s.: Here's the link to a thread I just posted. Any help very much appreciated.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...verload-and-more-info-on-them-included-thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: