fighting chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by valandmell, Mar 23, 2013.

1. valandmell

valandmell New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Can any one ease my mind..I have five chicks 10 days old in my brooder in the house and this morning they are going mad attacking each other with Kung Foo kicks its like watching a kung foo film...Is this normal

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It usually doesn't get that violent, though it may once in a while. The brooders I see on here are often too small, and the temps often recommended are often too high, at least once the chicks have recovered from shipping stress. Besides room to get away from each other and from the heat source, they do much better if they have some forage time. Chicks raised outdoors with a broody will forage at 2 or 3 days old. It will help if you can get them outdoors for short outings, and/or bring a little piece of sod in.

3. valandmell

valandmell New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Thank you for answering and putting my mind at ease...the fighting stopped and they all seem to be getting along, they at the moment are in the (computer room) a spare bedroom we use and spend a lot of time in...Today we let them run around for an hour in the room , on lots of newspaper, then they become tired so back to the brooder...This is a fantastic hobby I have undertaken, they are so sweet..one chick had splayed legs but my good lady soon put that right with bandage and compassion..be aware of more questions thank you...Val and Mell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by