Fighting chics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TwistedRee, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TwistedRee

TwistedRee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    It's been a while since I've been here, but hopefully that will change! I need some help please! Crabby hatched 13 eggs on the 24th of July. All chichs are a mixed breed, which will be a question for later on! LOL .. One chic died and the others are growing FAST! I think I have 3 roos in the bunch and have decided what to do about that yet, but I think there's still time. Of the 12 chics remaining, I have named 2 who I am sure are female. Fancy and Rocky. The chics beat up and bullied Fancy and Rocky so bad I had to pull them from the coop. Because I didn't see anything take place, I put Rocky and Fancy together, which was a mistake and one that was corrected right away! (Which is how Rocky got his name!) I wasn't sure Fancy was going to make it and thought she would lose her eye, but she survived and is happy and healthy as long as she isn't with Rocky. I haven't tried to put Fancy back in with the others because she's become my sweet girl! LOL ... As for Rocky, I put him in with the others yesterday and it was a mad house! So once again I had to pull him. So I guess here is my question: Is there any hope of getting Rocky back with the flock? Is there a time limit to leave her in there and let them sort it out? I realize there is a pecking order to establish, but Rocky screams the whole time. My husband says Rocky has to go if I can't make this work. But I don't know what's best for Rocky and the others! Any ideas? Suggestions?? ... I've convinced my husband to build me a seperate little coop for my Fancy girl .. and he says if Rocky and Fancy can get along, Rocky can stay. HELP!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    do you have any older chickens? maybe put Rocky in with an older one and let her get taught some manners by one of the matrons of the flock?

3. TwistedRee

TwistedRee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    I tried that .. And Rocky was beaten pretty bad .. I had to pull her again .. I'm thinking maybe I should just give in to the idea of building a seperate coop for Rocky and one for Fancy! LOL

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    sorry I don't have any answers.

My husband suggested putting them in a big bowl of jello and letting them duke it out. You can sell tickets to the show... naked chicks fighting in jello.... lol

the only other thing I could suggest is time consuming, but spend a couple of hours each day with both of them together and every time they start to fight, break it up. I would think that if you do it enough they might get the message just like dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by