fighting city ordinances

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by GinaNY, Jul 15, 2008.

1. GinaNY

GinaNY Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Mamaroneck, New York
    Has anyone fought with your local government to have chickens allowed. I live in a suburb in NY and am getting geared up to argue with my local village government to allow me three chickens for eggs. I'd love to have some experiences and ammo to throw at them. I am reading on madcitychickens.com to get prepared.

It's amazing the phone rhetoric - one code enforcer quotes a law that doesn't exist and then tells me no 'livestock' and chickens are no livestock from everything I can find -they're poultry. You'd think with all the taxes we pay this wouldn't be an uphill battle.

Thank you for any and all input --- Gina

2. springviews

springviews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    hi i live in illinois,i live in the county but its residential one. if you have horses ,chicks ect.sell them and dont have any on the place for 6 months or more u can no longer replace them,i did however. i live out of the city /this is the silliest ordinace ive ever heard of.i will fight my zoning board like everyone does,get signatues from my neighbors that my rabbits/chicks arent a nuisance and continue from there good luck let me know how u do.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well..i know this will be of no help at all,.. but..on the Animal Planet station..the show animal cops (or whatever its called) the new york series..these people in new york had chickens..(roosters)..and the s.p.c.a., was called 'cause of suspected cock fighting..but i believe they were only taken away cause of the cock fighting....but otherwise chickens were allowed in new york..not sure what section of new york it was though..but it was in the actual city area..not sure if this helps any...lol...good show though...[​IMG]..good luck!, Wendy

4. GinaNY

GinaNY Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Mamaroneck, New York
    thank you - I'm going to try - I don't want roosters, just hens, so I'm prepared to do battle

it seems to me that there's a conspiracy to make us dependent on food processors

you would think three chickens wouldn't be a big deal so maybe I'll get them and band them and call them show hens - they can live inside the kitchen

5. 1dude

1dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    They need to realize the economy is driving people to become desperate. Why not allow chickens, they'll eat a lot of stuff that will end up in the landfill, keep pests down in the yard and are harmless. Most of this stuff is zoning type laws intended to keep poor "undesirable people" out. Soon we will all be living in grass huts and those laws will be a thing of the past.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by