Fighting cockerels?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donnigan, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have three young cockerels. 1 is about 7 months 2 are three months. I noticed the 2 fighting when they were about 9 weeks but i haven't seen them do it in a long time so i think they got it worked out. I saw the 7 month old and one of the 3 month olds fighting a few days ago so i grabbed the 3 month old because i thought he might kill the 7 month old( he is a production red and is much bigger then the 7 month old). They keep running at each other so i usually separate them. Should i keep separating them or let them work it out?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Usually, they need to be left to work things out. However, if one has clearly given up the fight, but the other persists you will need to intervene. At 3 months old, there are no spurs yet, so injuries should be minimal.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would get rid of the production Red Rooster..They are more aggressive...How many hens do you have? The best ratio is 10 or more hens per Rooster...Coop and Run space will play a big part in them not fighting all the time....Separate if things are getting really bad...

Cheers!

4. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016

About 60

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by