Fighting cockerels

Tomarse

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
Cockerel help please…again!
Some background- I have two brother Pekin bantams who have been living together for 18 months, since they hatched. One was dominant but there were hardly any fights and the got along well.
They live with 4 adult hens, a 3 month old hen and a 3 month old cockerel, both hatched in the flock. They live in a large run but spend most of the time free ranging in a large garden. Also free ranging are another 2 5 month old cockerels and a hen. The older two brother cockerels are dominant to these but no real fighting. (The plan is to rehome all the other cockerels…)

The older two brothers have suddenly started fighting constantly. They have drawn a lot of blood and neither will really back down. This has been going on for a couple of days. I’ve separated them in the run but as soon as I let them both out into the garden the less dominant one seeks out the other and the fighting starts.
The main flock had been to a chicken sitter for 3 weeks while I was on holiday and the young 3 stayed at home in the run. The fighting started as soon as they were returned home.

Is it likely the brothers will ever settle down again? And how long should I leave them to fight it out?
Sorry this is so long! Thank you.

Cockerel help please…again!
Some background- I have two brother Pekin bantams who have been living together for 18 months, since they hatched. One was dominant but there were hardly any fights and the got along well.
They live with 4 adult hens, a 3 month old hen and a 3 month old cockerel, both hatched in the flock. They live in a large run but spend most of the time free ranging in a large garden. Also free ranging are another 2 5 month old cockerels and a hen. The older two brother cockerels are dominant to these but no real fighting. (The plan is to rehome all the other cockerels…)

The older two brothers have suddenly started fighting constantly. They have drawn a lot of blood and neither will really back down. This has been going on for a couple of days. I’ve separated them in the run but as soon as I let them both out into the garden the less dominant one seeks out the other and the fighting starts.
The main flock had been to a chicken sitter for 3 weeks while I was on holiday and the young 3 stayed at home in the run. The fighting started as soon as they were returned home.

Is it likely the brothers will ever settle down again? And how long should I leave them to fight it out?
Sorry this is so long! Thank you.
If they keep it up, they should be seperated.

Thank you. That’s what I’ve done but was hoping they might eventually go back together.

Is it usual for them to suddenly start on each other after months together quite happily?

Thank you. That’s what I’ve done but was hoping they might eventually go back together.

Is it usual for them to suddenly start on each other after months together quite happily?
No. When roosters get to a certain age as they mature, their hormones kick it. Wich can cause the sudden fighting among brothers like that. Sometimes keeping them separate for a while helps. Sometimes it doesn't

Back
Top Bottom